Thread: Do I need more than 1/4" ply if....

Post Thanks / Like

Do I need more than 1/4" ply if....

Debating building vs. buying...I can build...not pretty, but would be functional. But the lazy in me wants to buy...

Anyways...if I build, it's going to be for a fairly small tank, 32 gallons (24" x 18"). Plan to do a 2x3 frame skinned in stainable plywood. Since I'm getting the structural support from the 2x3's...do I really need anything thicker than 1/4" ply?

Post Thanks / Like
    1/4" will be fine for skinning...

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 2x2' framing up a 47 gal bow front stand. Just be sure that the frame is well secured and stays square & true, over time the 1/4 may not be enough to keep it from wracking. If unsure, go 5/8.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think what's I've decided to try building is basically 4 legs made from 4x4 as the weight support. I know WAY overkill but I'm doing it for looks more than the strength. I'm going to use 2x4's top and bottom and they will span between the legs and be mounted so they are flush on the inside of the legs and attached via pocket screws and glue. I think that will take care of most of any racking issues that might be. Then...there will be a channel cut into the inside of the legs to allow the plywood skin to slide into and the ply will be affixed to the horizontal 2x4's with glue and screws. Finally on top will be a 1.5" thick concrete top that I'll make. That way the 4x4 supports will be partially visible and I'm thinking stained a light color. Then inside and recessed will be the plywood panels...paint or stained dark. Door on the front to access the filter/CO2 and a little storage. I could do a wood top....I have some 3/4" MDF from another project. I could double that up to make a thick nice and heavy top then use something water proof, maybe some vinyl click together tile or something and some wood trim...I just need to make sure the top is solid and flat since the tank is rimless.

Black = 4x4
    Red = 2x4
    Green = screws
    Blue = grove for plywood panel to sit in
    Purple = plywood panel

Tank stand legs.jpg