Thread: Cleaning large amounts of poret

Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning large amounts of poret

The majority of my filters in my fish room have 20 and 30 ppi in use. I am spending hours cleaning the stuff. Right now I am using a hose to "power wash" debri out of it. I won't lie this is my least favorite thing to do. After hours I am pretty sure I am getting the most of the debri out of it but still more left behind then I want. I do not need this poret for any of the biologic filtration. My biological is plenty strong and the poret is solely mechanical. I ideally want to have two sets of poret to swap out. Ideally I want to soak the poret in something that will help loosen up and ideally dissolve some of the waste before I go to hose it down.
    Can I use dilute bleach, vinegar or oxalic acid or anything else to do this? At the same time I do not want to hurt the poret due to its hefty price tag.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can use unscented bleach, just let it air dry completely and it will all evaporate... Since bleach is an oxidizer it will likely have some effect on the foam, but I doubt in diluted ratios it's going to have any real noticeable effect for years... You could try vinegar or oxalic acid as well, they are both organic and will rinse away and break down fine as well...

If you want to soak it, may I suggest you get some of this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Val...-8-oz/35326675 and let it soak for a week, should loosen up a the bio-waste quite well... The reason I recommend that one is that it has no dyes in it, while the name brand ones like Rid-X generally have blue dye in them...

There are no 'chemicals' is the stuff, it's just a mix of beneficial bacteria and enzymes that naturally break down organic matter the same exact enzymes found in nature... The only annoyance is that the bacteria and enzymes are mixed/coated onto something similar to sawdust or similar meal like substance... I use this stuff all the time to clean up 'pet mistakes' (especially cat urine) I soak/seep some of this septic treatment stuff in room temp water for about 8-12 hours then filter out all the sawdust using fine strainer, and then soak the area to be treated with the 'tea'... I can't seen any harm in soaking the foam in this for a week or so to break up stuff as long as you properly rinse it after you are done soaking...

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks Meep I can give the septic rinse a try. How do you dose it? I will probably use a 55g drum about half full.
    If that fails and i try bleach is the normal dilution 1:32?
    Swiss troicals is going to love me. I have to reodor a double of everything!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well considering the packet in the box is supposed to seed your typical septic tank of about 1000 gallons you can go from there if you want... When I make my cleaning tea, I just wing it, maybe 1 tablespoon in 5 gallons of water, I'm sure that is a super concentrate at the end of the day...

Post Thanks / Like
    actually just realized I have tried the septic tank cleaner before in the past. I did not really see a difference but will try again