Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Designing the fish room (very slowly)

  1. #1
    DIYFK member Viridis's Avatar


    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Designing the fish room (very slowly)

    So this thread will be updated ridiculously slowly, as it'll probably be a year before I finally get the fishroom up and running (moving,money, etc), but that just gives me more time to plan it. I don't have exact dimensions of the basement of the new house yet, so it'll be done in parts until I can actually get measurements.
    The plan is to have the tanks in rows, seperated by the water parameters they require (row 1 for tap water, row 2 for blackwater, 3 for alkaline, &c.). This will make the water change system a bit easier, but more on that much later. Each rack will have 3 shelves, with a shelf per rack per species (each rack=3 species). This will allow me to keep fry close and the room more organized. It's mostly going to be 20L's, 10's, and a few Zoo Med Lowboy tanks (48x24x10).

    So the first thing I'm trying to figure out is the water/drainage system.
    Messing around in sketchup again, and came up with this. The green is the overflow and main drainage, the yellow is for the second drain (more below), blue for airlifts for the mattenfilters, and red for new water. The second drain is to preform larger water changes and drain the tank completely when needed. The valve for the second drain is at the front of the rack for ease of access; I'm fairly tall with a bad back and knees, so the less bending and reaching I have to do the better Click here to enlarge. The second drain is tied into the overflow.

    The new water line is where I'm stuck. I made 2 versions; version one being a single line at the top, which will have valves, with airline going to each tank (the same as an air system), with version 2 having a line going to each shelf. I think I like the second version better, but what do you guys think?

    Front view
    front view.png

    Back version 1 with single line
    back view 1 water line.png

    Back version 2 with 3 lines
    back view 3 water lines.png

    View of plumbing for 2nd drain
    second drain view.png

    Any thought/ideas? Sorry if the descriptions are all over the place; mostly just typing it as I think of it haha.
    Last edited by Viridis; 10-21-2017 at 08:18 PM. Reason: typos typos typos

  2. #2
    DIYFK member Stryf's Avatar


    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,706
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thinkk version 2 will have a neater appearance to it.
    2300 Gal pond: 7 Koi, 2 Goldfish, 2 Catfish
    125 Gal: 1 Reticulated Stingray, 2 Bala Shark, 3 Neon Tetra, 1 Glo Fish, and several guppies.

  3. #3
    DIYFK member Viridis's Avatar


    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like
    So after going back and forth, I decided I'm going to attach 2gph (maybe 4gph) drippers to the red line (see first post) instead of just using valves above each tank. I'll probably put it on a timer to run for an hour everyday (plus 5-10 minutes to fill pipes and build up pressure for the drippers) . Assuming I go with 2gph for an hour, this will change the following amounts each week;

    10gal=140%
    20gal=70%
    lowboys (50gal)=28%

    Double this If I go with 4gph.

    Now I'm not going with a continuous drip for a couple reasons; first is I'm still going to be on city water, so I have to pay for every drop. A continuous drip may not add a lot of cost per tank, but it adds up quickly with the number of tanks I plan on having. Secondly, I need to give the R/O system time to refill the barrels (more on that when i figure out the details). Lastly, I really don't think more is necessary, with the exception of the low boys. The 10 gallons will be for fry, so changing 140% a week is a nice amount, and more than I currently do.

    I'll also have a seperate loose line attached to the water storage that I can use if I need to do larger or more frequent water changes.

    I was originally planning on using ball valves above each tank, but I think there's too much room for error, and it's going to be far too much fiddling to dial in flow rates.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •