Thread: Help diagnose my fish

Post Thanks / Like

Help diagnose my fish

Hey guys, I've got a 20 gallon long planted aquarium. I've got 5 cardinal tetras,15 neon tetras, a hillstream loach and 2 dwarf gouramis. I got home from a short vacation to see this white specs all over a couple of my tetras. I've decided that its "ich", but I figured that I should get a second opinion before I get to treating. Also if anyone has any tips on treating it'd be appreciated because this is the first time I've had to deal with this.

81b52fdfd3.jpg

a9813a0540.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    looks ich-y to me. My fish had it once years ago. i used salt and water changes. But before using salt in your tank check to see if your plants will tolerate it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup.......that be ich alright. Use salt and, like Homers' already said, make sure your plants will tolerate it. If not, remove the fish to a "hospital" tank until it clears up. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Would you guys recommend putting every fish into another "Hospital Tank"? Would the snails that I've got be infected at all by the disease? I don't want to kill all of my plants!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you remove the fish to treat them, you very well could stress them out further causing the Ich to get even a stronger hold and cause more problems including death... Also you would need to keep them out of the 'original' tank for about 3-4 weeks to make sure all the dormant Ich cysts that are in the gravel in said tank mature into tomites and then die because they can't find a host in the tank... The cysts take about 14-16 days to mature and bust, and the tomites need to find a host within about 3 days, thus the three-four week time period once the fish are removed for the Ich to die off in the tank, or you risk instant re-infection...

In your case I would instead remove the plants and snails to a new tank, then treat the fish and the rest of their tank... Don't put the snails and plants back into the fish tank for at least three weeks allowing time for any cysts/tomites that might have been on them to go through their life cycle and die... And obviously before you replace the plants and snails do multiple big volume water changes in the fish tank to remove the salt... In fact it's probably best to do once a day 25-50% water changes in the snail/plant tank as well to keep the water fresh while they are outside the cycled tank, this will also remove the floating tomites in the water...

There are numerous articles to be found in a Google search for Ich treatment, there is no single right or wrong way, especially when you are dealing with plants and snails as well as more 'delicate' fish like neons... Many like the salt treatment methods as it's cheap and has less of a 'chemical' stigma, make sure to use aquarium salt or natural rock salt, DON'T used iodized kitchen salt... If you do go with a commercial Ich removal medication, you should half dose for the neons, sadly many of these medications put the half dosage recommendation for small and weak fish in fine print or in supplemental literature not in bold text on the bottle leading many people to overdose and kill fish like neons...

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably gout. Just kidding, it's ich.