THE ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK

Thread: Looking for suggestions for a DIY LED light in a tight area.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for suggestions for a DIY LED light in a tight area.

I am cheap so I don't want to buy anything.

I have some LEDs that I can use for this but I am limited in space. My tank is 29.5" L x 12" W a 21" H. I have it in a built in cabinet which is a part of our fireplace. It fits in perfectly. The light I have right now is the old style florescent and the case for it is about 4" tall.

To get my arm into the aquarium for cleaning and vacuuming the gravel I have to remove the light. Then it becomes nearly impossible to see in the tank.

I would love to have a DIY LED light that I can split in half and still provide light into the tank.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO, although you don't want to buy anything if you are just looking for 'illumination' then get a pair of these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-Waterproo...K/331721285485

And a cheap 1A or greater 12V wall wart, like this... You might even have one laying around...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-1A-2A-3A...-/142235693820

Then just double sticky tape (they come with the double sided tape) them to the top of your built in cabinet... They run hot but if you double stick them to the wood it takes away enough heat for them to keep running... For about $5 you have a light that only takes up about 1/4" of space...

I have these in several critter cages for simple illumination and I love them...

Beyond that, chances are you will spend the same $5 building your own LED fixture even if you have the LEDs

Post Thanks / Like
    I do like that idea. Is there a way to hack them for Arduino control? Adding a relay seems like over-kill.

But then again...I do like those lights.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ubotbuddy Click here to enlarge
    I do like that idea. Is there a way to hack them for Arduino control? Adding a relay seems like over-kill.
    I'm guessing on/off and brightness control? You use transistors for that relays can't switch fast enough for PWM dimming... The listing says they are 6 Watts but doesn't specify if that is for one or the pair, so if we are to assume 2 of them is 12W for safety (or actually measure them) then you will need a pretty decent sized transistor(MOSFET) driver board with a heat sink...