THE ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK

Thread: 125g display + 55g sump freshwater in-wall build

Post Thanks / Like

125g display + 55g sump freshwater in-wall build

Hi All,

I've been working for several weeks now on a new tank build, and I wanted to share what I've accomplished so far and get feedback.

The initial concept was to cut an opening in the wall between my kitchen/dining area and my living room, and install a large tank, which will be planted and stocked with large (50+) schools of small fish. I decided that a 125 was probably the largest/heaviest standard tank size for the location I planned to put it, but I also wanted to have a large sump, so I cleared some space in my basement. My personal goal for this tank was for it to have as close to zero visible equipment in the display as possible, but it's also directly above someone's bedroom, so it also needed to be super quiet and have ~0% chance of leaking.

A number of elements in the design I came up with should look familiar to long-time viewers of Joey's channel Click here to enlarge

I started by getting the wife's input on exactly where the viewport for the tank would be:
    20170810_200107.jpg

I then picked up a used 125 that the seller was asking $100 for. The plastic trim was cracked in several places and large sections were missing, so I stripped it off and added some glass braces instead. I think it looks way better anyway.
    20170830_173923.jpg

The bottom of the tank is tempered glass, unfortunately, so I drilled five 1 3/4" holes in the side wall for the plumbing to/from the sump. It was my first time drilling glass, but it came out perfectly.

I built the stand from ~100' of 2x4 and 2 1/2 #8 wood screws, with a 1/4 plywood veneer on top. As I was leaving extra length on the end for the bulkheads to protrude, I put in a couple of extra supports where the tank actually ends.
    20170830_173359.jpg

Next I marked out the wall opening and started making a gigantic mess Click here to enlarge
    20170830_202537.jpg20170902_121433.jpg20170902_173150.jpg20170908_074003.jpg

Then came the plumbing. The plan was to add a black acrylic weir and do a modified "BeanAnimal" overflow. In the image below, from foreground to back there is:
    1. The main overflow to the sump
    2. The auxilliary overflow
    3. A drain plumbed directly into my septic system which will terminate on the outside of the weir
    4. An emergency, emergency drain that goes to the septic system, and also acts as a vent for the drain next to it
    The last two lines are connected underneath via a tee.

The drain line to my septic system should make water changes ridiculously easy, which is great because hauling buckets sucks Click here to enlarge

20170920_215557.jpg20170910_160015.jpg

Those lines all go through the floor, into the ceiling of the bedroom above, and then take a right turn through the wall into my unfinished basement area where I've set up the sump.
    20170923_214833.jpg

I made a crappy drawing of my sump plans to give a better idea of how it's designed:
    sump_v3.png

After calculating the substantial head loss from pushing water through so many 90 degree elbows, I determined that to acheive 500gph I'd need a pump rated for about 1800, but I decided more was better so I bought a Jecod 9000, which is good for 2350gph.

Right now, I'm waiting for my can of Weld On to arrive via Amazon so I can join together the three sides of my weir and then silicone it in place. I'm hoping to have the system up and cycling water by early next week. Once I have it going and I'm confident it's not going to spring a thousand leaks I'll wrap the stand in something nicer looking and also build a housing to cover the protruding PVC in the corner.

Let me know what you think!

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    Ive got to ask is that a Duplex Radio Outlet under the tank ?

Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, no. Just a regular 3-prong.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Weld On arrived, so I now have a weir. Despite the doodles on the paper, I'm going toothless. I'm just going to round off the corners with my router and flame polish, and then it should be ready to silicone in place.

20170925_184425.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Weir completed, uniseals installed, and siliconed into place.

20170926_172235.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    looking good
    2300 Gal pond: 7 Koi, 2 Goldfish, 2 Catfish
    125 Gal: 1 Reticulated Stingray, 2 Bala Shark, 3 Neon Tetra, 1 Glo Fish, and several guppies.