Thread: Pothos With Just Moving Water?

Post Thanks / Like

Pothos With Just Moving Water?

I've two empty overhead filter boxes(originally filled with ceramic rings) that I plan to fill with pothos.. Do I need to add substrate or growing medium like hydroton?
    Is it ok to just fill the ohf with pothos and only flowing water from filtered tank water?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have grown pothos in just jars/vases of water, no medium at all, and I have seen many people just drop it in the back of hang on filter with no medium, as long as there is enough nutrients in the water it will do fine... Your biggest concern is that the water should stay oxygenated so the plant doesn't drown (pothos is quite resistant to drowning even in stagnate water) this is true with or without a medium for the roots to grab...

Post Thanks / Like
    Each box is around 5 inches tall, which isn't too deep and surface agitation from water flowing through it should keep the water oxygenated, I suppose?

Post Thanks / Like
    Any moving water should be fine, as I said pothos are highly resistant to drowning to start with, I have seen people keep them in the same water for weeks on end with no agitation beyond them topping off the water something that would drown many plants but the pothos survive just fine, not that I would recommend doing that but I have seen it done...