THE ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK

Thread: Leaky drain pipe

Post Thanks / Like

Leaky drain pipe

Hi -
    I just got a used 75g drilled tank with built in overflow. I just check for leaks, - filled up the overflow and I have a leak out of the drain pipe - water comes out of the bottom of the bulkhead, even when the water level is below the height of the drain opening. The leak seems to coming from the pipe-bulkhead connection. The pipe does wobble a bit inside the bulkhead - the return is snug and does not leak.

Any advice? New bulkhead?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I'm understanding correctly if the pipe is 'wobbling' inside the bulkhead that means it's not probably glued. screwed or that it's broken...

Post Thanks / Like
    correct, it is not glued. Neither is the return (I haven't tried pulling the return out, but I think it turns).
    The drain pipe comes completely out when you give it a little tug. I have read (On Amazon - All Glass Aquarium AAG29251 Overflow Accessory New Kit) that the friction fit should be enough of a seal.
    Its not a disaster because the only thing that can (slowly) leak out is the water in the overflow, so my tank won't empty out, but I'd like to fix it before I set up the tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well without pictures or full details, it's real hard for anyone here to give input... Yes, for some connections a pressure fit is fine and so is leaking, but from where we stand we have no idea if that is the case here as we have no idea where or how bad anything is leaking... I hope that makes sense...

Any way if you want, measure how far the pipe fits into the bulkhead, get yourself some Teflon pipe thread tape, from the end of the pipe about half the distance that it goes in start wrapping some pipe thread, do one wrap to start then slowly increase the wraps as you go back on the pipe, it's not always easy but in many cases this will allow you to insert the unwrapped part of the pipe easily, then as you push it in the taped part of the pipe will create a gasket...

Post Thanks / Like
    Photos below

IMG_1917.JPG
    IMG_1915.JPG
    IMG_1918.JPG
    IMG_1919.JPG

I will try the teflon and see how that works. Silicone was also suggested - any comments on that? It will be difficult to access the joint, although I saw someone use plastic tubing on the end of their caulking gun.
    BTW, the pvc in the drain is cemented in place, and not part of the drain pipe. It was used to clamp a hose on, rather than using a reducer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Silicone will work as well, but it won't be removable, the Teflon tape will still be a press fit that can be removed...

As for getting silcone down there, if you go that route, just use your finger and wipe it around the edge of the pipe then push together...