THE ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK

Thread: What to do with a yet to build stand for a 40G and a 20G long sump

Post Thanks / Like

Question What to do with a yet to build stand for a 40G and a 20G long sump

So a little information.
    I have yet to buy any of the pieces for this setup.

I'm thinking
    A 40 Gallon Acrylic or Low Iron Display Tank (I'll have to drill these myself)
    I want a shadow overflow-box from Synergy Reef in there so it's nice and quiet and low profile.
    I Impulse bought a dollar per gallon 20 Gallon Long tank at Petco and want to use that as my sump

I was thinking of using Joey's DIY stand method but I'm worried that my sump won't fit between the inner supports.
    Another issue is the fact that the tank is going to be slightly away from the wall because of the overflow-box / return & plumping.
    The stand obviously has not been built yet so I can do the plumbing anyway I want, I was thinking of leaving the back of the stand totally open. (but I might need something against possible splashing for my walls.

Any suggestions on how to make these tanks work?
    Bigger thank 40G will probably make my wife rage. 40G might already be a stretch Click here to enlarge...

Much appreciated guys.
    Very excited to get this build going (will be a long process since I'm not home much).

Post Thanks / Like
    Get the tanks you want, take measurements, plan out the plumbing then design the stand around all that info so it fits properly...

It's much easier to build a stand to fit the tanks then forcing tanks to fit a stand...

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the dimensions of the tanks. my question was somewhat regarding the inner posts. can i slim those down? they aren't really the load bearing legs if i understood the layout correctly.

Tank: 36.0" x 15.00" x 16.0"
    Sump: 30.5" x 13.13" x 13.0"
    ---------------------------------
    Wiggle: 5.5" x 1.87" x 3"

Not a whole lot of space between the outer strut and the sump.
    That is if i make the stand exactly the same size as the Display.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no idea what plans you are using specifically, but generally most of the DIY fish tanks are built to hold a car, so yes a lot can be thinned down on most of the designs out there... Most of the plans are designed for simplicity of build, lots of corners can be cut and still remain plenty of integrity to hold a fish tank plenty well... If you have ever looked inside commercial wood tank stands, most are are 1/2" particle board, with some 1x1 wood strips in the corners, hot glued and stapled together and they hold up tanks just fine...

Do you have a link to the design you are talking about? Also you can always make a stand bigger and put on a 5/8" or 3/4" top to hold the tank instead of it being directly on the legs...