Thread: Plastic water Tank to Pond

Post Thanks / Like

Plastic water Tank to Pond

I have a 600 galons (plastic) Click here to enlargewater tank (see pic), about 5 foot tall and 4 wide

I wish to make it 2 feet wide by 16 inchces tall viewing window, what is the best way in bonding the plexi
    to the tank?
    Was thinking if drilling holes to fasten the plexi to the tank and silicon.

thanks for your help, and recomendation

Post Thanks / Like
    i dont think silicone will bond.

Post Thanks / Like
    The tank is probably PE or PP (polyethylene or polypropylene) and for all intents nothing will bond it it short of plastic welding... There are some 'exotic' bonding methods but nothing reliable under high stress like that that would be experienced with water pushing on it...

That leaves you with mechanical sealing aka gaskets, you could as you suggest silicone and then bolt the two pieces together but flexing and expansion and contraction is likely to cause it to leak since the silicone would not act exactly like a gasket, you really need a fixed thickness rubber gasket that is 'squished' when you bolt the two parts together that way if the joint opens up a bit due to expansion, the 'squished' gasket will take up the void...

BUT, you really can't just bolt acrylic and other plastics as they will fracture and rip at the drill points, what you would really need to do is fabricate a stainless steel frame that sandwiches the two plastics and gasket and can be tightened...

At the end of the day, I would say it's an impractical and cost ineffective tank design that is likely going to cause more grief and cost more then it's worth with a high risk of failure...

Post Thanks / Like
    Would Weldon products, used in building acrylic tanks be a consideration??? I'm not the expert here but.......was just curious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FLDave Click here to enlarge
    Would Weldon products, used in building acrylic tanks be a consideration??? I'm not the expert here but.......was just curious.
    No, they won't even scratch the surface of PE or PP plastic... The 'exotic' cements for PE and PP are costly, not real reliable and they require the surface be heat/flame treated immediately prior to bonding,and I don't believe I have seen one that will bond PE or PP to any other plastic, just to itself...

There is also the HUGE challenge of forming any acrylic window to the curvature of the container, no small task in itself with maybe? 1" thick or greater acrylic, depending on the location of the window? That alone is going to require a forming buck and proper acrylic heating blankets...

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Meep Click here to enlarge
    No, they won't even scratch the surface of PE or PP plastic... The 'exotic' cements for PE and PP are costly, not real reliable and they require the surface be heat/flame treated immediately prior to bonding,and I don't believe I have seen one that will bond PE or PP to any other plastic, just to itself...

There is also the HUGE challenge of forming any acrylic window to the curvature of the container, no small task in itself with maybe? 1" thick or greater acrylic, depending on the location of the window? That alone is going to require a forming buck and proper acrylic heating blankets...

OK........thanks for the info....Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Well to advoid the headachs, getting a 72x18x27 tank instead, filtration is now the question, just keeping 4-6 kois

Post Thanks / Like
    4-6 Kois will quickly outgrow that tank (assuming the water quality is not horrid and they are allowed to thrive and grow as they should) and it will require a huge filter as they grow and produce copious amounts of bio waste...

Do you plan to thin out over the next 6-18 months to just one single Koi so by the time that one reaches about 10-12" it's the only one in the tank? Because one Koi of that size is about the 'recommended' maximum number your 150ish gallon tank can 'healthily' handle... And once that single Koi passes 12" it will honestly need an even bigger tank if it's going to continue to thrive...