THE ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK

Thread: Thoughts on my Stocking plan

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Thoughts on my Stocking plan

I plan to start a 55 gallon FW tank. I am completely new and my hubby is helping (he has much more experience but in the aggressive fish side). I want to do a peaceful community tank and this is what I am thinking...please give me your thoughts and suggestions!

1x Thomasi (L188a) Plecostomus
    10-15x guppies (eventually I would only start out with around 5)
    5x- diamond Tetra
    2-3x Dojo Loach
    5x splashing Tetra
    3-4x gold dust mollies
    3-4x balloon mollies
    3-4x Silver lyretail mollies

I would appreciate your thoughts on this plan. I would really like to add a dwarf Gourami or two but if I can't because of safety, that would be ok. I am not planting my tank. I am making my own decorations (following safety rules like using silicone and glass beads only).
    TIA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Without going into detail, I would say you are pushing the limits especially as the fish mature and grow... You might find the guppies and tetras looking like dinner to the larger mollies, especially the fancy tails of the guppies as the mollies mature and grow...

Also pay attention to your water temp, the loaches are going to want it on the cooler side while the guppies and tetras are going to want it a little warmer, the mollies will be happy either cooler or warmer... IMO you can aim for about 75 degrees, but that is at the upper level of where the loaches are going to be happy and the lower level of where the guppies and tetras are going to be happy, IMO it might be best to skip the loaches and hold a slighly higher temp for everyone else...

But, of course others may have the opposite opinion, I toss mine up only as a cautionary warning...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you! I appreciate your insights!