Thread: ? Co2 Vinegar soda vs sugar yeast

Post Thanks / Like

Question ? Co2 Vinegar soda vs sugar yeast

Will vinegar and backing soda work as well as sugar and yeast in a homemade Co2 generator.
    All things being equal witch would last longer?

1 + side of the vinegar soda we always have it on hand in large quantitys.

1 + side of sugar yeast we always have it on hand in large quantitys.
    2 + You can distill it. Click here to enlarge...Not that i would know anyone that knows how to do that sorta thing...Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO no, vinegar and backing soda will react within seconds/minutes and you will get an instant release of all CO2, on the other hand sugar and yeast will react slowly for days and thus you will get a much more usable release of CO2... Now on the other hand you could 'trap' all the CO2 released from the vinegar and backing soda then using a regulator moderate it's release into the tank, but that just complicates things...

IMO both methods are appealing as the upfront cost is low, but at the end of the day investing in a real CO2 tank and regulator is going to save you money and a ton of hassle... Paintball CO2 tanks can be had for very reasonable and many places will fill them, so unlike bigger tanks that might require big deposits and the hassle to get filled at a gas distributor the paintball tanks offer a cheaper solution...

Also when buying a CO2 tank consider the certification cost... Paintball tanks need to be certified every 5 years and it can cost between $20-$30 to do it, so buying used or sitting on the self for a year or two tanks can incur additional cost... On the other hand if you 'rent' a bigger tank a lot of times the gas company will absorb that cost...

Lots to consider and the certification cost are annoying... I have a large helium tank that I bought new year ago so that I can avoid the cost of getting balloons for parties... It's saved me a fortune over the years, but not it's almost up for certification, so I cheated a bit and just took it in and had it topped off with gas a few months ago... I figure even though the certification expires this year, now that it's full I will be able to use it for a few more years before paying the re-certification cost Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Will a o2 regulator work on a co2 tank?

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by HillbillyHomer Click here to enlarge
    Will a o2 regulator work on a co2 tank?
    Off the top of my head I have no idea... For a CO2 system off a tank, IMO you really need the proper CO2 regulator as you want to be able to dial it down to essentially nothing, and count bubbles not PSI... Cheap specialized CO2 regulators with bubble counters can be had cheap enough that I personally would not bother with anything less...

That isn't to say that with enough tinkering you could not make the O2 regulator work, I just don't see it as practical...