Thread: Very loud DIY Overflow

Post Thanks / Like

Very loud DIY Overflow

So its been a while since I posted or did anything but other things in life ended up happening so I put off the aquarium diy stuff for a bit. But I am the original poster of Electric Siphon Starter or What Kind Of Pump Do I Need? (Cant use urls yet)

I ended up building an overflow which worked for the most part except that it was slightly slower than the amount of water coming in. So I made a larger one that uses a larger tube to bring it into the basement. While it now is fast enough. it is also extremely loud compared to the previous one. Even when I used the smaller one with the larger hose it was still very loud. Is this normal? Heres a video that shows whats going on
    just add the start of the youtube address

watch?v=m00bpchDh70&feature=youtu.be

Ignore the tube going right into the overflow I was just testing it at the moment when I took the video. Also it shows the filter in the basement. Is this normal for it to be as loud as it is or am I doing something incorrect. When I had the smaller tubing that wasn't fast enough it wasn't this loud.

When I looked at the new version of the overflow it said it can handle a higher flow rate. Would this allieviate the problem when using the smaller tubing? or is there a way to fix this so its not so loud. Any help is appreciated since this is the first time doing this overflow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since you have such a long drop, put a vertical loop trap in the hose going down to the basement similar to this, see if that helps with the noise... You might find two works well, one just bellow the fist tank before it goes through the floor and one just above the filter in the basement... Obviously make the loop big enough so it's not kinked and make sure it's vertical not flat... Albeit obviously test it, I can't say if it might bugger up something else and create another issue, just something that popped in my head as a possible solution as it will decrease the 'fall' of the water as the water will no only fall the distance to the trap or next trap with the noise of falls between traps contained inside the tube kind of like an exhaust baffle...

Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Meep Click here to enlarge
    Since you have such a long drop, put a vertical loop trap in the hose going down to the basement similar to this, see if that helps with the noise... You might find two works well, one just bellow the fist tank before it goes through the floor and one just above the filter in the basement... Obviously make the loop big enough so it's not kinked and make sure it's vertical not flat... Albeit obviously test it, I can't say if it might bugger up something else and create another issue, just something that popped in my head as a possible solution as it will decrease the 'fall' of the water as the water will no only fall the distance to the trap or next trap with the noise of falls between traps contained inside the tube kind of like an exhaust baffle...

Click here to enlarge

This could help the sound upstairs? Basically it just sounds like its constantly bubbling and gurgling out of the air pressure tube. The tubing I'm using currently is a thick braided tube which is rather hard to loop around. Its the only one that was the next size up from where I was previously that I could find at the store.

Alternatively can I go back to the smaller tubing if I use the upgraded version of the pvc overflow since supposedly it has a better flow rate although I'm not sure if that flow rate will be consistent since I am using a smaller hose to get to the basement.

Finally I don't know if the fish tanks glass is tempered or not. My guess would be it isn't though. I only wanted to do this as a last option as it will void the warrenty. But if I cut a hole in the tank itself and use that instead to bring the water down will that make it much more quiet than the overflow or is it possible that it will also be fairly loud?

Post Thanks / Like
    Any way to make a better link to you tube. I would like to see what your talking about. (for my future build)

Post Thanks / Like
    So after doing some thinking I figured out how to silence this to the point where its almost completely silent. I got an airline hose about 10ft long and put it into the hole at the top of the long tube which allows air in so it acts as a muffler for any gurgles coming from that end. On the end where the water comes into the sump I attached a pvc ball valve to slow the flow to slightly over the amount of water being pumped in. I ordered a pvc gate valve for better control the water flow since the hardware stores don't sell pvc gate valves here and all the ball valves they sell are so tight and hard to turn it nearly requires a hammer. But slowing the flow to the basement also helped a lot in silencing it. I did eventually find a 5/8 inch tubing to get to the basement at the store so I'm probably going to remove the braided tube and use the 5/8. Also I'm going to change the style of the overflow to the newer version so that it should be constantly under water which will make it even more quiet. I also plan to make a couple more changes to avoid any mishaps with fish or snails or anything being able to get into the return pipe. I will try to remember to take a photo or video to show after I'm done in the next day or show to show what ive done to it to make it quiet.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GeoJB Click here to enlarge
    Any way to make a better link to you tube. I would like to see what your talking about. (for my future build)
    I sent you a private message with a link to the video. If you didn't receive it shoot me a private message and ill try to resend it to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    cool, got it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am encountering a new and very maddening situation. The overflow was working fine and perfectly for about 3-4 days now. I even got it to be nearly completely silent. I decided to simulate a power outage where the power flashes on and off in quick succession for a few moments. That seemed to kill the overflow and make it stop working. After some messing around I found that my aqua lifter had stopped working at the time but seems to start and stop working randomly. Anyway making a long story short. The overflow seems to work consistently when the aqua lifter is working. Whenever it isn't working it seems to sometimes work, sometimes not. I had the aqua lifter in the basement pulling the water about 15 or so feet. I was thinking maybe if the power goes out and the aqua lifter stops working the the length of the air line might cause air to go into the overflow and make it lose its prime. Although I am not 100% sure how to prime the overflow since its also going into the basement the same distance my best success in priming it is putting the water pump line into the tall air pipe and running water in it then pulling it out and putting my hand over the opening for a few seconds.

Anyway with the tank in the living room and the sump in the basement I need this to work so I would like to know what I am doing wrong with this overflow and would like it to work right even if the aqua lifter stops working right. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    I figured out why it was failing. Whenever the pump would shut off it would siphon water back down to the tank too fast so I increased the tube length so that the water coming into the tank wont suck so much water back out that it forces the overflow to suck in air. Also I moved the aqualifter up to the tank rather than have it in the basement. Doing those 2 things made the overflow work and the aqualifter no longer fails and I have not been able to get the overflow to fail since. I am thinking of using a float switch to shut off the pump as well if anyone happens that causes the water to rise too high and stay off till I am able to deal with it as another fail safe since I cant have a huge mess in the living room.

Back to silencing the aquarium. Since I cant seem to upload the photos I took currently here ill try to describe what I did. I put a cap with a hole in it over the overflow stand pipe that the overflow pipe can go into . That quieted it some. On the air pipe I put a cap and drilled a hole in it and put an airline in the hole to act as a muffler.

On the pipe with the water coming into the tank everything is similar with the cap and slots. except inside I have another tube that the hose line goes into and I have a nylon clamp on the hose section below the pipe so it cant force itself up and out and make a mess.

A big thing that made things a lot quieter is a gate valve in the basement right before going into the filter. Just slow the water down bit by bit till it quiets up and essentially I have an almost completely silent fish tank now. Minus a hum from the powerhead and a slight hum from the aquafilter. But if you set it near perfectly it will be silent otherwise. That's part of the reason I'm thinking of a float switch as a fail proof though. Also because the braided line is a bit of a pain and moves around I braced it against a wall in the basement so it cannot move which stabilizes and standardizes the amount of water going to the basement so now that it cant move hardly at all the water going down stays about the same.

That's what ive done to get my tank pretty much silent. If anyone has questions feel free to ask. I can try to show photos at some point if anyones interested.