Thread: Tubing NSF ratings

Post Thanks / Like

Tubing NSF ratings

My brother in law has offered me some tubing he got from work I think and of course I accepted but it hasnt got to me yet and it raises a couple questions

Its NSF 51.... Ive always bought NSF 61 due to it saying it is safe for pottable water... but what exactly is NSF 51... a quick google search told me its safe to come in contact with foodstuffs .... so I would assume it would be safe but how is that different than 61?

Also unfortunately he said its 6mm tubing So I would imagine my push fittings wont fit it but the size is close to 1/4 inch OD.... is it close enough or will I need to buy an adapter of some sort if I use it?

Post Thanks / Like
    NSF 51 is the rating given for materials that come in contact with food and beverages (not limited to potable water) while NSF 61 is for materials that come in contact with just potable water... From what I gather water and or food exposed to plastic NSF 51 for long periods of time could develop a slight plastic taste/smell, that is why it's not certified for potable water... But, like all plastics that can vary by manufactures, the stuff stamped NSF 51 might very well pass NSF 61 standards as well, they just didn't pay to test it for both because it's designed for food and beverage machines... IMO for aquarium use you will be perfectly fine with either...

Many brands of push fittings are 6mm or 1/4" universal and/or the rubber o-ring will still seal fine even if not specified as they compensate for slight variances in manufacturing... If you want 6mm specific fittings, they are cheap enough on Ebay

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks!

hmm interesting, I may buy some 6mm Light Blue tubing then. I have a touch of OCD and I have some of my pvc painted light blue, unfortunately where I convert it to 1/4 inch tubing I never could find light blue tubing

My Brother in law is sending me black which I use a lot as well but its always annoyed me using white tubing instead of light blue for my RO water tubing lol

For me I use red for my pvc coming into the room so anyone can immediately know where my emergency shut off valve is, Dark Blue is regular water that is lower pressure, orange is high pressure, light blue is my RO water, Green Air, and Black drain

when working with that white tubing its like an itch that I cant scratch cause its the wrong damn color lol