Thread: Clear Coat for Vinyl Decoration?

Post Thanks / Like

Clear Coat for Vinyl Decoration?

Hello all!

I am in the process of setting up a 50 gallon fresh water tank for my son, who is Godzilla crazy and thought it would be cool to try and incorporate that in to our new tank.

There are sturdy vinyl bust banks available, and my thought was to weigh down the inside and coat the exterior in some kind of aquarium safe clear coat.

Are there any recommendations on how this could be safely done (if even at all possible) without introducing any nasty additives into the tank?

Many thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge...if i were doing it...Click here to enlarge
    1 wash it good with hot soapy water inside and out , rinse and let dry.
    2 fill with rocks or sand.
    3 place in tank

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of cool resin Godzilla statues on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/godzilla-resin

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies!

I had a look at some resin statues, I agree they look awesome, but most are a little out of my budget or are kit builds.

I have seen some tutorials online of people using clear aquarium sealant to cover their vinyl toys, so I was hoping that would be safe...

Post Thanks / Like
    i have never had vinyl toys in my tank But i use vinyl tubing for air and filter. Have never had a problem with it.

P.S. i have fresh water tank. Dont know how it will holdup in salt

Post Thanks / Like
    The biggest concern with any vinyl product is the amount if any of lead they added to it... Most reputable manufactures will avoid lead in vinyl for toys and stuff people will handle so technically you should be fine, but there is always the risk as it's a cheap additive...

BTW this is the reason 'gray' electrical PVC is not 'food safe' it has small amounts of lead added for elasticity, as does most vinyl wire isolation aka your cords on every appliance and even extension cords, but this amount is so low it likely posses no ill effects almost all exposure cases...

I personally would not be that concerned about putting the lead decorations in the tank, but there is always a risk albeit low IMO...

If you are really concerned and want to add a layer of protection, may I suggest you get some countertop epoxy (pour on epoxy) mix up a small batch pour it into the inside of the decoration and swirl around coating the inside, repeat this several times with small batches to build up a full coverage layer of epoxy on the inside... Then I would take Krylon Fusion clear and spray the outside, several coats to get a nice seal... Now I doubt that the epoxy on the inside will stay fully bonded to the vinyl but even if it fails in a few areas it will drastically limit the amount of surface exposure...

Post Thanks / Like
    Again, many thanks for the input, much appreciated!

So based on that, my plan of action is…

• Thoroughly clean the toy inside and out.
    • Plug the coin slot with water tight putty
    • Coat inside with 2-part epoxy
    • Weight down inside with rocks
    • Coat outside with clear water based pond sealant – Krylon Fusion isn’t readily available in the UK, so I’m hoping this will suffice
    • Get big G in that tank

I’m hoping this will work, and be safe for the fish.

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    As long as the epoxy on the inside stiffens it up well, you could also just brush the clear epoxy on the outside... I just suggested paint for this because it has more flex and is less likely to crack or show some signs of failure, but if you have a solid flex free object you can brush on the epoxy as an outside clear coat as well as inside slush coat...