Thread: Question on automatic Water Changes, as well as CO2 systems

Post Thanks / Like

Question on automatic Water Changes, as well as CO2 systems

Hey, so I use a CO2 tank for my planted aquarium and was wondering on using 1 tank for my full fishroom... Currently I have water PVC pipes running around my fishroom as well as my Air Line..... I imagine the answer would be no due to possible leaks... but has anyone ran a pipe around a fishroom that provides CO2 to a full room of tanks.

You would have to tap the PVC similar to what I did with my air lines, however instead of screwing in nozzles for Air hook ups you would need to screw in bubble counters and such... The possibility of leaks would be problematic... I know of 1 spot where I over tapped my PVC and had to use a lot of tape to get a good seal... even if its leaking slightly it is not a big deal as its just air but with CO2 all seals would have to be tight...

So maybe it simply is smarter to use a CO2 Tank per stand where you can use a manifold and not worry as much but its an idea that has been bouncing around my head and was curious if anyone has ever pulled the trigger on an idea like that.

Now for my oddball questions... As you may of read in my other posts I am altering my dual 125g stand to allow me to automatically change water... The tanks will have discus in them so water changes are important... anyway im going to use 1 self priming pump for both tanks, and unless when I hook it up its a seriously strong pump that can pull water from both, I'll need to put in valves so I can change 1 tanks water at a time. I'll do that with powered gate valves that default to closed then when I flip the switch or button, or whatever I decide it will open up that valve so the pump can pull from said tank.

I originally was going to use the pump simply to encourage a siphon then turn it off and let it go but I figure theres no reason not to let it run while the tank drains and stop it when it ends.... which brings me to my questions.

I have a few ideas but want to get any other ideas out there... I need ways to set it up so when the water hits a certain level the pump stops, when I was going to use the siphon idea I would of just had the pvc end at say half way for 50% changes, now I can still do that of course but I want this to be as automated as humanly possible... so in what ways can I get the pump to deactivate when I hit 25% or 50.. or whatever I decide?

The reason I want this fully automated is because if possible I want to set it up on a timer so it changes the water once every however long... 24hrs 48h 72... whatever. Basically it would be no issue at all if I was always home and able to be there but there are times I'm gone for a few days to a week or so. I can trust my family to feed the fish but beyond that I am always skeptical. So I want to set this up so if Im gone water changes go ahead on schedule. Which brings me to my followup question... I'll be wiring the stands so do you guys have any recommendations on timers to run my whole water change operation? Obviously I can use a simple plug in timer but figured if I already am asking for recommendations I can ask on what type of timers would be ideal... I can use a plug in timer or a wire in timers.

Oh... and dont worry about how itll be refilled... I will use a simple float valve to control incoming water.

Yes My last 2 questions could be solved with a drip system but for various reasons I cant drill those 2 tanks so a simple drip system is not possible like most my tanks, thus forcing me to do water changes more... and as I said, discus will be in there, one tank will be a growout tank so I need to do all I can to ensure ideal water quality... even when I'm away....

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by trachr Click here to enlarge
    Hey, so I use a CO2 tank for my planted aquarium and was wondering on using 1 tank for my full fishroom... Currently I have water PVC pipes running around my fishroom as well as my Air Line..... I imagine the answer would be no due to possible leaks... but has anyone ran a pipe around a fishroom that provides CO2 to a full room of tanks.
    You can use PVC, as you said it will require you make sure it has no leaks and obviously keep the pressure low enough as to not burst the PVC...

Yes My last 2 questions could be solved with a drip system but for various reasons I cant drill those 2 tanks so a simple drip system is not possible like most my tanks, thus forcing me to do water changes more...
    Have you considered an hang on overflow?

Post Thanks / Like
    how reliable are they? Ive seen multiple forums bitch and moan about them failing and waking to a room full of water

Also, in all honesty... all my drip tanks are 40b and lower my 55s are tempered(ARRGH) and I cant do the 125s.... would a drip system in a 125 be enough to keep up with baby discus?

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by trachr Click here to enlarge
    how reliable are they? Ive seen multiple forums bitch and moan about them failing and waking to a room full of water
    With the priming pump Joey suggest in the above video near the end, that pump will constantly keep it charged thus it should be near 100% reliable unless the pump burns out, the reason they fail normally is they lose their siphon, but with the pump running and constantly renewing the siphon that never happens...

The only thing I would personally do different is that I would drill tap and use a screw in barb vs siliconing the tube into the pipe... Just be sure that if you screw a barb in that the bottom of the threaded part doesn't go much past the pipe wall or else you will create an air trap, same with the tube as Joey points out in the video, only stick it in the depth of the pvc pipe...

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll give it a try... do you know if Joey uses drip systems in his bigger discus tanks? I know he keeps discus but unsure where all he uses drip systems.

I know in my 20s and 40s water changes are not needed at all with my drip system... I need to vacuum the stuff off the floor of course but water stays perfect for me just from the drip lines....

125s are bigger so I would imagine that you would end up with more old water that stays in the tank... you still would be changing however many gallons a day you set it up for but with that length of a tank would that be enough?

I know I would want to fill from 1 side and pull water from the other to minimize the chances of pulling out only the new good water but still.... never done it on that size of tank before.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a drip system in my 120 and it works well, however I don't need the water changes you're looking for. I do about 100% a week or a little more. You can add and remove as much water as your heaters will keep up with. If you need treat for chlorine or any other chemicals that creates more issues. I add and remove water from my sump and use an overflow from the display tank to the sump...This is the over flow I made and as far as I can calculate it does about 600GPH. Sorry about the crappy pic. This has a Toms pump keeping the siphon in case of power failure and my sump is big enough to handle any over flow in case the return pump fails.

overflow.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll give it a try, Thanks

I decided to add 1 more safety feature.. I'll add a float valve positioned higher than the overflow just in case... I know the Toms pump will remove any problems but that is dependant on power being on... so I got to thinking if power fails and the siphon fails then the tank would still add as much water I have in my pressure tanks, plus the house pressure tank as well ...

So I will add a last resort safety feature that will close a valve on the drip line lol

Call me paranoid but life if life has taught me anything is that it will find crazy ways to screw me and if my room floods too often then one day the ball in chain will take away my fish room Click here to enlarge

One day Id love to build a fish shed outside but I cant afford that yet so till then my hobby relies on her good graces Click here to enlarge So I am a bit paranoid about floods lol

leaks and such happen sure but its the unforced floods I worry about

That is a nice lookin overflow btw