THE ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK

Thread: algae and cichlid

Post Thanks / Like

algae and cichlid

Does any body know what is good to put with Convicts, Jewel Cichlid that will eat algae .I put Ramshorn snails in with them. but it seems that they do not last long Thanks Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Instead of combating the problem you might want to focus some attention on the cause...

Excessive algae growth indicates

1. Excess light
    2. Excess nutrients in the water

To fix the first, reduce light either turn the lights on less or drop to a lower power light... If the tank is by a window, try to shade it from sunlight...

To fix the excess nutrients in the water pay close attention to the amount of feed and don't overfeeding, also increase filter size and/or efficiency followed by more frequent water changes... You can also build an algae scrubber or plant some live plants in the tank to 'starve' the unwanted algae growth...

Frequent water changes, better food management and less light are going to be your best friends when combating algae...

Beyond that, although 'algae' sucker fish will remove some algae, they are a high bioload fish aka they poop constantly as they eat the algae so your filtration needs increase...

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry I am late getting back I had a medical procedure. I do not have that much of a problem black spots here and there but I was using a real low L.E.D I got on ebay. The kind on lights that are flat and are like tape .I would not recommend them really low and the 2 kinds I bought that I got was more pink then white. But last week I got a good 48 inch aquarium light from Amazon for 35.00 dollars I love it . The next test will be if it last of reasonable length of service. They are really bright. So I know that the algae will get worse .Every 5 to 10 days I always do a 50 to 70 % water change religious lee and I try not to over feed. Even with that low light. I get them black brown spots on the glass and other things I call it algae I think it is some kind in that family correct me wrong if it is not . I put trumpeter snails and ramshorn but they never last long in my other aquariums they keep it sparkling. I suppose a large armor plated pleco would work but I hate to put one in a 55. I think it is sad to place a big fish in small space and some of other small types will most likely be killed by the cichlid. Also in the short time I have been on this forum Mr Meep you are really helpful and I know speaking for my self a real ascent and THANK YOU STEVE