THE ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK

Thread: GEt rid of all the bacteria viruses and Parasites

Post Thanks / Like

GEt rid of all the bacteria viruses and Parasites

Hello all

Im going to have a huge problem in next few months.

According to weather forecast there will be no rain in next few months. So my municipal water supply gona be a salty one. I cannot use this water for my tanks coz its too salty.

But I have a well at home. The only reason why I cannot use this water for my fish tank is that it contain more parasites. I dont know how they get into the water.

So local agricultural unit warned me not to use that water for my fish tanks.

But im suggesting a solution. So I need your opinion on this to fix my problem

Idea :- I will make a Column filter from a 3 inch PVC pipe , at the bottom that contain charcoal, and the top of that some large gravel and then small gravel and after that 1 ft height sand layer.

So do you think that if I pass this well water through this sand column it will be out of parasites, bacteria and viruses ?

Also this well water is little bit hard any suggestions to remove that ( But I have used this water for my koi s they were ok )

I want this water to use for my Discuss juvenile fish tanks

Any Biologist's opinion ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Your mechanical filter will do little to nothing to remove bacteria and the sorts....

If you are concerned you should treat your well water, if it has sediment run it through a coffee filter first...

To treat it...

1. Bring it to a rolling boil for 1 minute at sea level to about 3 minutes at high altitude...

OR

2. Add about 8 drops of regular (unscented) bleach per gallon, stir wait 24 hours for the chloride to evaporate before using it for the fish tank...

Messing with the PH is opening up a bag of worms, if you really want to do that I would suggest you invest in an RO system and take your now 'treated' water and using a shallow well pump (to get a pressurized system) processes it through an RO system...

Post Thanks / Like
    As @Meep said, you need to boil your water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Meep Click here to enlarge
    Your mechanical filter will do little to nothing to remove bacteria and the sorts....

If you are concerned you should treat your well water, if it has sediment run it through a coffee filter first...

To treat it...

1. Bring it to a rolling boil for 1 minute at sea level to about 3 minutes at high altitude...

OR

2. Add about 8 drops of regular (unscented) bleach per gallon, stir wait 24 hours for the chloride to evaporate before using it for the fish tank...

Messing with the PH is opening up a bag of worms, if you really want to do that I would suggest you invest in an RO system and take your now 'treated' water and using a shallow well pump (to get a pressurized system) processes it through an RO system...
    yes RO system is the best option for this. But since it is really expensive in our country I cannot afford it.
    Also im not a fan of using chemicals to kill bacteria.

Thats why I thought of using this sand column filter to filter all the things.
    Fine sand will stack on each other to create a perfect mechanical filter for these Micro organisms.
    So you still have the same opinion on this ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sasquatch Click here to enlarge
    As @Meep said, you need to boil your water.
    Agreed

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lahi88 Click here to enlarge
    hats why I thought of using this sand column filter to filter all the things.
    Fine sand will stack on each other to create a perfect mechanical filter for these Micro organisms.
    So you still have the same opinion on this ?
    Yes, I still have the same opinion, a few feet of fine sand will not filter out micro organisms, it takes much finer substraits... On the other hand you could in theory build a slow sand filter, where a large layer of 'slime' on top of the sand purifies the water, but that is like cycling a fish tank, it takes time to get going, it's slow and you need to constantly keep it flowing or else the slime dies and you have to recycle the whole system...

If you don't want to use bleach, then the cheapest alternative is boiling...

On