THE ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK

Thread: 1st stand build

Post Thanks / Like

1st stand build

Ok I'm building my 1st stand and I want some opinions. The stand is for a 100 gallon that is 60" x 18" x 22" and a standard 55 gallon. The stand will be built with 2x4's, 2x6's, 1x6's and .5" plywood I know it's a little overbuilt but it's better that way I think so please give me any pointers you have or questions
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100 gallon 6x18 stand full.JPG   100 gallon 6x18 stand no tops.JPG  

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are going to add a "skin" to it. You don't need to place studs to prevent sagging in the middle. the "skin" of what ever material you choose either Planks or plywood, those will provide extra strength for both sagging and wracking.
    If it will be open you will need some studs. simple 2X4 will do the job. don't need any extra weight.
    When you "skin" the front, simple 1X2's will work just fine. The 1X2 for framing the door's and perhaps nailer's for planks you might use.
    That's what I did for my 70 and 46 bow front and they are still holding on strong.

Post Thanks / Like
    the plan was for the bottom to be open so I can put a 55 gallon down there as a grow out tank

Post Thanks / Like
    Glass or Acrilic top tank?
    Ok, I would have the 2X6 under the entire frame of the tank. The way the plan looks now the 18" piece looks like it is not under the side walls of the tank.
    One other, I would have the 2X4 under the 2X6. That way The wood is supporting the weight, like a post would. Not the nails or screws that are placed into the side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a pic of the tank it is glass and in the pic you can see why it needs a new stand I've got to think about what you said and think exactly how I'm gonna redo it I'll probably post pics later tonight
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170310_164303 (1).jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay here is the updated design
    1. I added another cross member on the bottom because the tank going down there is only 12" wide so without the cross member only the 1/2" plywood would of been supporting it.
    2. I also added corner bracing on the back.
    3. I changed the stand height from 38" to 42".
    4. I created a 2x4 frame that goes along the outer edges that sits atop the 2x6s

s let me know what you think
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100 gallon 6x18 stand full.JPG   100 gallon 6x18 stand no tops or molding.JPG  

Post Thanks / Like
    ok I watched joeys video in the sticky and did yet another redesign here it is
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails full v2.JPG   100 gallon 6x18 stand no tops or molding v2.JPG  

Post Thanks / Like
    Really cool design. I like the open plan! What program are you using to design the layout like this?

Post Thanks / Like
    The cross brace in the middle is what you needed. Maybe some corner braces. When I build I tend to overkill but I figure better safe than sorry. Braces don't necessarily need to be heavy. Just there to keep things from moving in any direction.