Thread: Heating system water softeners

Post Thanks / Like

Heating system water softeners

I live in, and will be moving to, shortly, a hard water area. I've been researching for my new build, after the move, and am wondering about the possibility of plumbing in a heating system water softener. Now, I've no idea how these work, or even if they are aquarium safe, so your advice is welcome. I've (not) linked below an example that is designed for drinking water. I think at 2 litres/min, I would plumb is as a seperate line to the sump, as that flow rate is not sufficient for general filtration.

(doh!)

I look forward to your feedback and, if this is not appropriate, maybe a DIY alternative? Zeolite reactor, possibily?

Thank you.

*edit* Cannot post urls until at 15+ posts. Oops.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can use softened water for fresh water fish, but you should pay attention to how soft, you might find it best to do a 50/50 mix of soft and hard water to get a better PH... Or possibly a 50% RO mix with the hard or soft water or both...

Best is to have the original water as well as the soft water tested and go from there... Also there are different 'salts' for softeners and they will have different effects on the water...

And last but not least the more 'tinkering' you do to the water the more hassle it is to replicate every time you do a water change, so aim for minimal tampering if possible... You might find out that a regular whole house mechanical sediment filter pulls out enough junk to make the hard water just dandy for aquarium use...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Meep,

Thank you for the advice. I am aware that the less tinkering I do with the water parameters, the better. My tank is stocked with commercially and UK-bred fish, so they are going to have adapted to harder and less acidic conditions. I think the reaon I was considering a permenant in-line option was to ensure consistency of water quality (by way of softness) as it would be a constant feature of the circulatory system.

I will, absolutely, test the water in our new place, once there, and will certainly look into the whole house option.

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Having looked into it a little more, it seems these systems work by replacing calcifirous elements with other salts, some of which are not particularly desirable, so will not be pursuing this. Still, well worth keeping an open mind for new ideas and that is for coming back to me Meep.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can check out the Water Softener Reviews at WaterGadget to get in detail information about the top recommended options available in the water softener category. We will provide you with the meaning of Best Water Softener according to us.
    The best water softener is that system, which provides you with quality performance in less time. These water softener systems come in two types, one is salt-based and the other one is salt-less.
    Salt-based will work effectively in reducing the hard water affects. Check out this Fleck Water Softener, since Fleck is the Top Most Recommended water softener brand by me. You can read more about water softener at WaterGadget. They provides good content as well as in-depth knowledge

Best of Luck,
    Bella

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Bella.