THE ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK

Thread: Scracthed pane

Post Thanks / Like

Scracthed pane

Hello.

Ive been lurking here and making notes on building my first aquarium but unfortunately Im a bit stumped at the moment.

I am planning to building a 900x400x400mm glass tank, 6mm thick. I got the panes and I have checked them out and putting them in pairs, basically rehearsing glue up. Was supposed to glue them together tomorrow.

Then this morning I was pissed to see one of the side pane has a scratch on it. I didnt even realize when that happened. The scratch starts on the edge and ends abt 4 inches down and it ends rather deep. I can definitely catch the whole line with my nails.

Can i get away by putting it on the topside and put euro bracing ard the top perimeter (which i intend to do anyway)?

ATTACH]11856[/ATTACH]

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170109_112612(1).jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    There is always a risk with deep scratches, but I have seen so many scratched tanks holding water that the risk is low in many instances...

The cost to remove the scratch by grinding and buffing is prohibitive for such a small piece of glass...

Beyond that any answer is a roll of the dice, if you are really, really concerned get another piece of glass and put your mind at rest... If you want to roll the dice, but the tank and roll Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    You make a good point. I am going to get the pane replaced. Besides these panes were cut rather poorly, nothing is straight and true.

On the other hand, I just realized that, being my first real tank, its going to need a stand. So many things to do...