THE ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK

Thread: pressure regulator for a drip system

Post Thanks / Like

pressure regulator for a drip system

My fish room has a drip in most of the larger tanks. I am using pressure compensating emitters but still feel the drip is way off. Is there anything I can install inline to reduce the pressure going into the room and maybe help my emitters.

thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    There are inline pressure regulators, 'good' ones are generally a little costly though...

I'm sure there are others specific to irrigation that are quality built, but I generally see the better ones marketed for livestock water pressure regulation...

https://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplie...;pgwr1280.html

There are some sold for household and commericial use, but they are nearly the same cost as the above, but generally lack the gauge so it's harder to dial in...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-3-4...B-Z3/202922385

There are also some sold for RV use, that are designed for hose connections, so you would need to adapt them, but generally they run about as much as the above as well so there is no savings...

There are also low cost ones used for sprinkler systems and irrigation drip systems, but they generally are not designed for 24/7 use and I would not recommend them... I use one for my 'expanding' hoses to water my livestock during the winter so the hose doesn't pop, but that is only for a very temporary (under 1 hour use) as they are hit and miss on their ability to regulate over time and not made for full time use...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Mister-Land...ulator/1054541

Post Thanks / Like
    thank you. I am definitely not opposed to the first one. Do you know where i can get the connections to tie it into my drip line. I use the same tubing for ice maker in the freezer.

Post Thanks / Like
    just curious if I dial back the flow into the drip system from the valve does this reduce pressure at all or only reduce flow?

Post Thanks / Like
    You would install this where the drip line attaches to the main house supply... It will reduce the pressure to everything down line from it, and with that reduction in pressure yes the flow rate will also be reduced... Notice closing a valve only reduces pressure/flow rate if the rate being used exceeds the rate coming out of the valve, using a regulator like this the pressure is reduced no matter what the flow rate...

Post Thanks / Like
    i had valve put on to the main line like the one under a sink that attaches to the 1/4 inch tubing so I would need an adapter for it to go on the tubing.
    If I where to attach it before the valve I would have to drop the pressure in the whole house

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mcaquatic Click here to enlarge
    If I where to attach it before the valve I would have to drop the pressure in the whole house
    That would be the best course of action, only takes a few minutes to drop and drain the house and do it right... Especially easy since you have an existing valve at the location you want to drain in the basement, just turn off the water, open the valve downstairs and put a bucket under it, then go upstairs and open some other valves, should only take a few minutes to drain before you can get to work...

Post Thanks / Like
    wait you think I should drop the pressure in the whole house? Wouldn't this have drastic effects on all showers and faucets? especially on the second floor?

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mcaquatic Click here to enlarge
    wait you think I should drop the pressure in the whole house? Wouldn't this have drastic effects on all showers and faucets? especially on the second floor?
    No don't regulate pressure on the whole house, just shut down the house water for a bit while you install the pressure regulator for the fish room...

Post Thanks / Like
    ok but I iwll need an adapter to connect to the drip line to the regulator and then back to drip line will take a picture and post it