THE ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK

Thread: lifting an angle iron stand

Post Thanks / Like

lifting an angle iron stand

If I wanted to lift a tank about a foot higher can I use cinder blocks under the legs of an angle iron stand? was thinking I could put a length of 2x4 between the metal and the cinder block

Post Thanks / Like
    bump

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure just make sure everything is square an solid... I would personally put a sheet of treated plywood on the top of the cement blocks, so the stand (depending on design) doesn't put too much pressure on a small single point of the brick and cause it to crack... You could use a common 16x8x8 open cinder block and cap it with a solid 16x8x4 cinder block, the sell brick glue in caulk tubes to hold them together, then a 16x8 piece of treated plywood that again can be glued to the brick so it doesn't shift...

Post Thanks / Like
    i was just going to say yes. But Meep says is so well Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    The blocks should be used (Positioned, or "oriented"" as normally used, meaning the open cells oriented vertically).

NOT on their "sides".

So ya, put a 2x6" or similar over the tops of the open cells, full length of your stand, then your Stand or base.

Like, if a 6' 100gal, I would use 3 pairs of blocks, = 6 total minimum, like 3' max OC, and two 72" nominal or whatever to catch the whole base 2x6.

If like 55 gal, 4 blocks total, 2x6 can overhang blocks 2-3" inches, to reduce span between blocks. Marc