THE ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK

Thread: My 1st stand build

Post Thanks / Like

My 1st stand build

My needs for a stand were basic, 1 that I could hold the weight of the tank, 2 that it needed to be space for the equipment, 3 accessible open no beams in the way to be able to work freely. So this is what I came up with. The dimension are 50 inches long, 25 inches wide, 37 inches tall. It’s not finish I still have to place the top plywood and the sides. But this gives you a good idea. Please let me know what you think.

20161222_201539.jpg20161222_201551.jpg20161222_201604.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks nice and sturdy. I'm building one myself right now, hoping to be finished by tomorrow and I'll be posting pics as well.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the kind words. I am moving forward with build just been busy, and now am out of town working. As soon as I get some more pic's of my progress I will post them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool design.

I was surprised to see those sistered 2x4's on their side. Was that to gain a bit more clearance?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, my intent is to keep the front as open as possible to have room to work on the sump or any equipment I may have. Am not a structural engineer but that's why I placed 2 and screwed them together down the center to give them more rigidity.

Post Thanks / Like
    cool. Will the top tank rest on the side 2x6's? If not, the screws in your gussets and pockets are carrying the load.

Post Thanks / Like
    The screws and gussets will easily support 1000s of pounds, with a solid plywood top distributing the weight the load at any particular point is going to be minimal...

The blunt truth is that all these 2x4 stands are built like tanks far in excess of what they need to be built to... Just go to a pet store and look at how factory stands are made, a couple of sheets of sawdust board, some thin furing strips with some hot glue, brads or staples to hold it all together... Those stands hold tanks for decades without fail as long as they don't get wet or abused...

Post Thanks / Like
    Fair points meep. Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Meep Click here to enlarge
    The screws and gussets will easily support 1000s of pounds, .....a couple of sheets of sawdust board, some thin furing strips (?) with some hot glue, brads (?) or staples to hold it all together... Those stands hold tanks for decades without fail as long as they don't get wet or abused...
    I get the point, and with utmost respect Meep, I understand the over build, I just did it, but isn't it better to err on the side of safety, especially if you are advising an audience on how to build a tank stand? Lots of Joey tank stand clones here. (To be honest though, give me some timber, a large box of screws, an impact driver, and there is no holding me back!!) I just love that dat dat dat! Click here to enlarge