THE ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK

Thread: gluing styrofoam

Post Thanks / Like

gluing styrofoam

Wasn't sure where to post this. I want to build a lid that is elevated for my sumps so it sits over the plumping. I plan on using Styrofoam. what is the best glue for styro?
    thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Best really depends on the application...

A good general purpose glue for foam is Loctite Power Grab Instant Grab Tub Surround http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/pg_...n-Adhesive.htm

I have used this to construct several things from foam board recently and I really like it, easy soap/water clean up, and holds very well and quickly... Plus it's heavy bodied like a caulk so you can create fillets in the corners for extra strength just like you do with silicone when sealing a tank...

As always may I suggest whatever you use, test it on some small pieces and see how it works and if you like it... Some glues contain solvents that can melt the foam quite quickly...

Also silicone will work, but you can't paint it, so that has to be taken into consideration...

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Meep Click here to enlarge
    Best really depends on the application...

A good general purpose glue for foam is Loctite Power Grab Instant Grab Tub Surround http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/pg_...n-Adhesive.htm

I have used this to construct several things from foam board recently and I really like it, easy soap/water clean up, and holds very well and quickly... Plus it's heavy bodied like a caulk so you can create fillets in the corners for extra strength just like you do with silicone when sealing a tank...

As always may I suggest whatever you use, test it on some small pieces and see how it works and if you like it... Some glues contain solvents that can melt the foam quite quickly...

Also silicone will work, but you can't paint it, so that has to be taken into consideration...
    thank you