THE ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK

Thread: Video Request - Tools and Materials

Post Thanks / Like

Video Request - Tools and Materials

Hey Joey,

Not sure if you will see this but I figured I would give it a shot. I have been through about 50% of your videos and, as everyone says, they are inspiring. After taking in so many videos at once I have one video request (because I am sure you don't have enough, Hahahaha).

I would like to see a video of all the tools and accessories you use for all your projects. Not necessarily how to use them but what they are and a quick what you use them for. This would provide a fellow DIYer to come up with a shopping list for sales and such.

Maybe a list of materials. You are usually very thorough but one example is fiberglass. I have been researching fiberglass and there are SO MANY KINDS.

I know you are a SUPER busy guy and appreciate not only the information you share but the hands on participation you have with your community.

Thanks for listening,

Erik

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Erik_Clark Click here to enlarge
    Hey Joey,

Not sure if you will see this but I figured I would give it a shot.
    He visits the forum frequently...

Maybe a list of materials. You are usually very thorough but one example is fiberglass. I have been researching fiberglass and there are SO MANY KINDS.
    I admit that there is apparently a lot of different 'techniques' for fiberglass, but there is not that many different kinds...

For the 'fabric' there are primarily three different types in two different 'weaves' and multiple different weights... There is traditional glass fibers, both in mat and woven cloth, either will work for most applications, woven is stronger if done properly but mat is perfectly fine for anything but the most extreme uses... Weight of the cloth is not all that critical, with thinner cloths you get more layers per inch but again, this is really only a concern when you are pushing extremes... A 1/8" - 1/4" layup of whatever weight cloth will work in almost all DIY applications...

There is also Kevlar 'fabric' and carbon fiber, these are almost always woven, both are overkill in the aquarium hobby and can thus be ignored in this application...

There are primarily three types of resins used, polyester (most common all purpose grade), epoxy (used for extreme strength like boats and planes, and used with Kevlar and carbon fiber) and vinylester (used by many surfboard makers, it fits in the middle category of cost and strength)

Most people will use polyester as it's the most common and you can get it at local stores cheaper than the others, but its not 100% water proof (for all intents you can call it waterproof though) epoxy is used in most 'marine' projects because it it just that much more waterproof, but the cost difference is significant...

For the average hobbyist doing something for an aquarium polyester will work fine, but you might want to consider epoxy if the cost isn't a concern, as it's lower odor and technically better... Most hobbyist use common fiberglass mat (medium weight) as it's easier to work with in general as you can rip it to size with your hand... Woven cloth works better for extreme ups and down or curves but it can be a hassle to work with as it gets stringy when you cut it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Meep!! You always have such good answers to my questions! It's very encouraging and makes this forum a great resource!