THE ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK

Thread: Smooth-On Free Form Habitat

Post Thanks / Like

Smooth-On Free Form Habitat

Has anyone made anything with Smooth-On Free Form Habitat epoxy putty?

I've been experimenting with the styro/concrete method of building objects, but I worry that it will be too fragile for my turtle, and may not fit the applications I'm planning - specifically, I'd like to build a large fallen tree/branch that will be partially submerged and act as a ramp to his basking area, and potentially include the basking area.

I found Free Form in my research, looking at large professional aquarium displays. I think it would be perfect for this application. The product is more expensive than concrete by far, but I think it may be worth it. I was hoping to find some feedback from people who have used it before.

https://www.smooth-on.com/product-li...-form-habitat/
    https://www.smooth-on.com/tutorials/...olding-powder/

I think I could build the base from PVC pipe and styro, apply a relatively thin layer of this epoxy putty, sculpt it, give it a texture with something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Impression-Si...s=tree+texture
    and once cured, paint with either the smooth on reccomended smooth-cast 327 resin https://www.smooth-on.com/tutorials/...ooth-cast-327/ or just krylon fusion.

Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Smooth-On has fantastic products and I have used many, many, many of them over the years, but you generally pay a premium for their 'brand' name (they are the number one supplier to Hollywood effects companies as well as a few other industries) and incredible customer support...

There are likely other epoxy putties out there that can be found cheaper from industrial supply companies, but you won't get any customer support... I can't give any input on a cheaper options though as I have always used Apoxie Sculpt, although it's no cheaper then Smooth-On's offering...

Post Thanks / Like
    That was my first thought, but I didn't have any luck finding a comparable 'generic'. Free form actually appears to be the cheapest epoxy putty available. Polygem and magic-scuplt have a similarly priced epoxy sculpting putty.

Do you use Apoxy for the colors? I guess its still the same thing for the most part - any tips?

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by OtisDriftwood Click here to enlarge
    Do you use Apoxy for the colors? I guess its still the same thing for the most part - any tips?
    I use it because it's been around for a long time, long before Smooth-On offered anything like it... Color is mostly irrelevant with what I have done, as I was making master items that were then molded and cast with liquid resins for the final design...

Post Thanks / Like
    Wondering if you could use these resins and a concrete stamp to make a pretty nice "base" for a background?

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Warfie Click here to enlarge
    Wondering if you could use these resins and a concrete stamp to make a pretty nice "base" for a background?
    Yes, you can use stamps to put a surface pattern on them... Jewelry makers even use common scrap book rubber stamps to put designs and such into the epoxy clay for custom beads and what not...