Thread: Sick African Cichlid

Post Thanks / Like

Sick African Cichlid

Can some people with cichlid/fish experience weigh in. One of my original cichlids from when I set the tank up 3 1/2 years ago has come down with this issue with his tail. His tail looks like it may be getting nipped and the base of the tail looks reddish (hopefully the pictures better illustrate what's going on). Does this seem common with cichlids aggression or could there be a bacteria issue. All the other fish seem fine, but I feel like this happens to one of my fish once every few months or so, and usually leads to death.Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    It appears to be aggression and red on the fin is usually blood from ongoing nipping at the tail. You're best to isolate this fish until it recovers. How big is the tank and how is it stocked?

Post Thanks / Like
    This looks like aggression.
    I would ask what your water parameters are?

The thing about most bacteria infections is that the fish that are most vulnerable are the fish that usually getting bullied and picked on to the point where their immune systems become weak and reactive to the bacteria (not beneficial bacteria) already in our tanks water. As our fish age and get older they can more vulnerable as well.

Just like us and the many bacteria that surround us on a daily basis are staved off by our immune systems. The older we get the more susceptible we become to viral and bacterial infection.

This is one issue that a lot of cichlid keepers, heck fish keepers in general have when it comes to aggression. Its very hard to find balance in a cichlid tank.
    A few of the ways to reduce aggression and achieve balance is to have an only male tank or lowering your temperature to 73-75 degrees.
    But there are always going to be fish who just naturally move up in pecking order and eventually our tank boss becomes de-throned.

I have 6 african cichlid tanks and am always surprised of how different these tanks can be and change over a 24 hour period. Anything goes in an african cichlid tank.

I have had "community" type aquariums where the mollies can get nippy and aggressive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dct3416 Click here to enlarge
    It appears to be aggression and red on the fin is usually blood from ongoing nipping at the tail. You're best to isolate this fish until it recovers. How big is the tank and how is it stocked?
    It would we appear that both replied to a thread started over 2 years ago. I clicked on "last 24hrs" button and found this thread.
    Clearly this matter has resolved itself and Nchula probably doesn't have this problem anymore, lol.