Thread: plants dying. i am hopeless at plants

Post Thanks / Like

plants dying. i am hopeless at plants

Have this little 2Lx1x18H and i thought i might be able to sustain some plants.

Have had the plants in 1 week. Minus the ferns as these came out of another tank, in really bad shape. Terminal perhaps.
    Val's, anubias are the new plants. They look worse than when i bought them.

Led lighting small 23w white/blue runs 8-12 hours , then airpump at night.

Suspect substrate is totally wrong? I went with sand cover as reading people suggested it would be ok, others spoke about not being good enough to let roots grow. A thin layer of some aquarium potty mix is under the sand, which was recommended by a "plant nursery"

anyway, if anybody see's things that need improving/suggestions

will be more than happy to hear them.

When you look at plants IRL they look decaying??? on the ends. Which i trimmed. I took some of the ferns out, to let them float around, which in this pic have settled in the skinny vals on the left, the fern roots are black.

20160513_115031-1.jpg

20160513_115031-2.jpg
    No!.. need.. for shouting. No!... sleep.. till bedtime..(google it)

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it worth buying some of that flourish excel??, or am i just throwing money away due to incorrect setup to begin with.

Edit :
    "2) Some plants which do not have stomatas cannot be grown with Excel. This includes plants such as riccia, vallisneria, egeris densa, hydrilla and liverworts."
    I guess not worth it for me then.

Post Thanks / Like
    how long have the plants been in the tank? If less than 2 months, I would wait. Plants often go through a process of looking like they are dying when adjusting to a new tank. Look for any signs of new growth. If you see anything, no matter how small, your plants are just fine.

Looks like you are using pool filter sand which has 0 plant nutrition. You could try dosing with a general plant fert. Excel.... it's carbon, sorta a I don't want to mess with co2 but want similar benefits. Unless you have super high light/high growth plants, excel isn't really necessary. You can also allow the detritus to build up on the sand, that will turn into good plant ferts but will take time. If you are using carbon filtration, stop. Carbon strips the water of a lot of necessary plant nutrients.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks count, this is my second attempt at plants. Failed miserably the first time. Hoping to do better this time around.

No carbon, only sponge in the filter. New plants 1 week, ferns months old AND have been moved from a different tank with only sand in it. 4x2x2 "Turtle tank" 1 week ago to here.

I have a small layer underneath the sand, that was told will provide nutrients, BUT it was left over stuff from when i tried last time, and from memory i think i washed it so perhaps i have washed all the good stuff out?.

Post Thanks / Like
    In "all my years" I have never had any real success with plants. Having said that......I'm about to embark on another attempt......ughClick here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FLDave Click here to enlarge
    In "all my years" I have never had any real success with plants. Having said that......I'm about to embark on another attempt......ughClick here to enlarge
    Cheers FLDave. I am the same in the garden. I can not get anything to grow. SHE does all that. Plants hate me. Hope you have growth.

What are you using for substrate. I foolishly bought another tank today... a small aquastart 340 2nd hand $30. And will try some of that fancy substrate, you know the one's that cost millions of dollars... ADA, eco complete... i'm sorry i just do not understand the cost's of some of these products.

The LFS quoted me $120 something or other, for....... was it 10kg or 20 kg bag....... i'm still in shock i can not even remember the name. lulz.

Then again, i'm still doing things wrong by the looks of things... so perhaps its worth it.

I'll give it some thought at the very least.

I have tried a dirted tank, like dustin TV. Just with dirt funnily enough.
    I have tried this potty mix, under sand, complete disaster, as i knew even less then. Did not wash it, did not slowly fill the tank, it went everywhere. Their was no potty mix layer and then a layer of sand, it ended up totally mixed together.

Last time i tried, i did not have
    1. Lights. As it was outside tank.
    2. Did not do water changes. I went away for 6 weeks and came back to mush
    3. Choose the wrong plants... baby tears. Amongst others
    4. Tried home made c02
    5. Used fertz that I prob should not have

could go on, but i am sure you get the picture. This was just plants in a tank. No fish to be clear!

It is discouraging to say the least. But i am here to learn, and mistakes are part of the process.
    let me know how you get on, as i will happily listen.

Ps.. i think you know plants hate you when, even after having grown java moss, it dies... the only thing that i have grown correctly was duck weed. Keyword may be "weed" , pest, something that is hard to get rid off Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Just noticed the Java fern. You need to keep the rhizome (the stem at the bottom of the plant) above the substrate. With Java fern and Anubis, it's best to fasten them to a piece of driftwood or rock. I use a rubber band. If you bury the rhizome like you have the plant will die.

Post Thanks / Like
    Done. I now have them floating around..
    I picked up some local driftwood several days ago, plus ordered some in (different driftwood from O/S) and this is soaking in the bath tub.

Thankyou for your help.

Edit: hours later... hope this is ok for them. I am not worried about how bad it looks, i just hope the grow/get better
    20160514_182516-2.jpg
    Sorry about bad pic, had to crop it for upload.
    Could not find and rubber bands anywhere, pinched some of HER hair ties...