Thread: Finally convinced the other half

Post Thanks / Like

Finally convinced the other half

Finally convinced the other half to let me do my first planted tank.
    the tank will either be a 40B or a 90.
    I will use dirt for the substrate.
    I will do 10-12 female bettas and 20-25 rummynose tetra's and possibly a couple cory's or otto cats.
    My question is what would you guys do for filtration? The 90 is already drilled and the 40 could be easily drilled.
    Would a sump be to much for a planted tank?
    I plan on using a 4xT5 light for the tank so high light plants will grow just fine. What color spectrum or what color combinations should I run to maximize growth?
    Like I said this is my first planted tank. I've never attempted this before so I'm going whole hog and doing it big on my first go.
    Doubt co2 will be needed since I'll have a decent bioload. Also with said stocking ferts won't be necessary right?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would go with the 40B but I'm just into shallow wider tanks just now Click here to enlarge . Be careful with the Dirt... I know many have had tonnes of success but from experience it could be "too deep" keep it 1 - 1.5".

No comment on your fish selection... never been a betta fan but rummynoses are some of my favorites Click here to enlarge .... ooops guess I did have a comment haha..

IMHO a sump is never "too much".

I have 4 x 4' t5's on my planted tank (135 gallon)... I run them all at 6500k. I also added two 200 watt bulbs on either side to fill in the edges of the tank.

to me, co2 is a preference.. you have plenty of light to keep things growing Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    6500k is fantastic for plants. Check out Dustin's fish tanks on YouTube. Lots of good stuff on planted tanks

Post Thanks / Like
    co2 is unrelated to stocking levels. If you want to grow "high light" plants, co2 is going to be your limiting factor. Run high light without co2 and ferts and your tank will just be an algae factory. Its a delicate balance.

Stocking levels will keep nitrates high which plants like, but they won't uptake it if they aren't getting enough of the other nutrients ( P&K, micros).

I highly recommend spending some time on Planted Tank. Setting up a 40B is a completely different task than a 90.

For your first planted tank, I highly recommend going "low tech" and keeping the light intensity down. Once you've got a handle on that, look into all the details that make a "high tech" system work.

Post Thanks / Like
    For Soil.........I use 1.5" Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil, fresh chunks of red clay scattered through out the soil, and then cap it with 2" of coal slag "aka black diamond blasting sand". you don't have to use the black sand you could cap with what ever you want like pool sand or even gravel.

Post Thanks / Like
    The only reason I'm doing bettas is for the color and just to do something a little different than the normal fish. I work at a pet store and can order just about anything I want so stocking wouldn't be a problem. The only reason I'm doing rummynose is for the other half. Also thought about doing pictus instead of cory's.