Thread: Aquatic plants failed experiment

Post Thanks / Like

Aquatic plants failed experiment

Dear friends,

I want a good teacher for aquatic plant growing . Im a new to aquatic plants. So need a big help from any of you.

5 days back I started a planted tank. What I used was compost mix and sand (4 cups of compost to 1 cup of sand.) and mixed them well. Anyway I totally forgot to wash the sand before using . So after the mixing process I used them in the bottom of my tank upto 2 inches height.

Then I planted the tank with different types of plants and filled the aquarium very slowly without disturbing the sand compost mix. When I filled the tank I saw a white colour clouds in the water. But I though it might go away when the tank proceeds.

Sadly it wont. Then I did 2 100% water changes. but the problem persists.
    So yesterday I had to tear apart the tank and remove all the plants.

And plants was not in a good condition I guess. (when I take them out.)
    So I need to know what went wrong.

Cant I grow aquarium plants in compost (normal potting mix) mix ?? I have seen many videos in youtube that they are planting using these compost mixes.
    They used to call it wasteland method.

I dont know much about planting in aquairum. Please help me or give me something to read and learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ferengi
    Rule of Acquisition
    #217 You can't free a fish from water.
    The Unwritten Rule: "When no appropriate rule applies... make one up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Im sorry I cannot see that plant fourm thread when I load the diyfk page. I dont know why. Anyway thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Aquatic plants failed experiment

Dear friends,

I want a good teacher for aquatic plant growing . Im a new to aquatic plants. So need a big help from any of you.

5 days back I started a planted tank. What I used was compost mix and sand (4 cups of compost to 1 cup of sand.) and mixed them well. Anyway I totally forgot to wash the sand before using . So after the mixing process I used them in the bottom of my tank upto 2 inches height.

Then I planted the tank with different types of plants and filled the aquarium very slowly without disturbing the sand compost mix. When I filled the tank I saw a white colour clouds in the water. But I though it might go away when the tank proceeds.

Sadly it wont. Then I did 2 100% water changes. but the problem persists.
    So yesterday I had to tear apart the tank and remove all the plants.

And plants was not in a good condition I guess. (when I take them out.)
    So I need to know what went wrong.

Cant I grow aquarium plants in compost (normal potting mix) mix ?? I have seen many videos in youtube that they are planting using these compost mixes.
    They used to call it wasteland method.

I dont know much about planting in aquairum. Please help me or give me something to read and learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe you are referring to the Walstadt method named for Diana Walstadt.
    http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/el-natural/
    Above link will take you to aquatic plant central's El natural forum. All the Waltstadt method information you could ever want is there.

Post Thanks / Like
    As a first timer try planting in a pot and put the pot in the full tank.