Thread: 1 year up, 2 Year Crash

Post Thanks / Like

1 year up, 2 Year Crash

I am having trouble with growing plants, and i feel that i may have to just bite the bullet and get something other than sand in my tank. But really, my problem started a year after i had the sand, and i have been unable to return to flourishing growth again.

i had a 20g long tank with inert sand and some plants that i was throwing out family sized salid bowls of my crypts and drawf sag. i was growing with nearly nothing more than feeding fish and occasionally dosing some liquid CO2.
    I swapped out my 20 gal for a 29 gal at no cost to me. I got larger variety of plants. then things started dying off and my only conclusion was light penetration problems. so
    i swapped out my shop light fixture of two 400 lum led bulbs with a coralife 24" 4 t5h0 fixture witch either two or 4 bulbs selections still yields me same results.
    its been a year and i have destroyed many plants i have tried to keep. the only thing that still grows and faster than the rest is my anabus. even still, its dying back. i have had black beard algea and brown slime building.
    i do about 75% water change now weekly. all my api fresh water test kit tells me is my PH is 8.5 ish (same from flourishing) and Nitrate is just out of control. 10ppm day after water change, 50+ in 7 days. There is not anything dead or dying. i have removed wood from the tank as it was suspect. i have 50 gallons of watter roughly in my system.

and a side note, i do not have any other tanks in my control with a now restrictive budget from buying or building a new tank.
    the only thing im left to suspect is that the resealed 29g was using the wrong sealant. its dark gray/brown and nearly black.

oh and i have tried root tabs and liquid fertilizers with no changes. i will try to get a series of pictures available when i return tonight.

Post Thanks / Like
    As a temporary fix/test try putting some of the plants in a pot of dirt caped with cheep cat liter and putt it back in the tank Pot,dirt and all.

Post Thanks / Like
    actualy my LFS came up with an interesting idea. if when the tank i have was resealed with a sealant with a biocide in it, ... that could be causing the problem. sadly BBA and brown slime live nicely. i bought Eco-Complete. only a single 20lb bag. ill buy another after i do the resealing with proper stuff latter. dont have time for two weeks, but if the eco complete helps, ill get that second bag.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stupid question i know but are you washing your sand periodically? It traps colonies of bad bacteria and all sorts of things and could be the culprit. No new fish with the new tank? New plants that you got were from reputable source?

Post Thanks / Like
    never thought of rinsing the sand. plants, yes from good sources that i used before. fish same deal, from where i bought my first fish from.