Thread: Peas

Post Thanks / Like

Peas

Does anyone know if there is a way around peeling peas, or purchasing peeled peas? Can I not puree it until the skins are safe?

Post Thanks / Like
    The husk won't puree very well, too stringy...

Post Thanks / Like
    I get mixed information- they are harmful to fish? Clog them up to my understanding?

Post Thanks / Like
    Where are you going with this? Peas are generally used as a laxative in fish, in moderation they should be fine for that purpose, in excess or as a primary diet no they are not good...

Let me also state that unless you are real anal about using fresh peas there is really no reason to not simply pick up a bag of frozen ones...

I just finished the harvest of peas in my garden, it's great to have fresh peas but it's far from cost effective as it takes forever to de-husk them...

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol. Thanks again for the reply. My youngest son has no real interests- as a single dad I am trying to cram as much education into stuff as possible in the most affordable way. I saw peas as a cheap, reccomended part of feed. If it requires peeling them, or purchasing baby food (which is what most recipes call for) I will see about something like spinach since that's more work than I'd like to put into it. I keep that on hand and it's very perishable so once it gets less crisp... anyway I'm trying to have him hands on in the whole proccess to include food making, aquarium design, building the stand so on and so on.

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to think of peas as medication not a content food source.

Example a prune is good every now and then, but what would happen if everything you ate had prunes in it.

Post Thanks / Like
    pealing peas is not difficult. if you purchase peeled peas it will not be that much healthy