Thread: One or two more fish?

Post Thanks / Like

One or two more fish?

I have a moderately planted 20 gal that is fully cycled and is home to a dozen Neon Tetras and a few Kuhli's. I feel like there's a lot of space still and I was wondering what sort of fish I should finish my stocking with. I'd like something that swims midlevel and is a little bigger than the Neons so that they will school tighter and not spend so much time chasing the smallest of the group. I thought about dwarf gourami as I've never had one, but they I guess are pretty shy and I'd like something that likes to be in the open. Some kind of dwarf cichlid? Or one of the solitary cyprinids? I'm at a loss. What would you do?
    Always Learning

Post Thanks / Like
    By normal stocking standards that tank would be fully stocked to over stocked depending on the person. You still want to allow room for the fish as they grow. The more fish the more filtration that will be needed. In my 20g planted I have 6 panda corys, dwarf gourami, and a dozen shrimp. That tank is pretty much done. My experience with the dwarf gourami I have found them to be territorial. They would chase around my schooling fish. Even the one I currently have pushes the corys around.
    Bow Down to Washington

Post Thanks / Like
    My tank has a larger foot print (24x16), and just looks a bit empty. I've got pretty good flow through my planter-box style overhead sump so I thought I could get away with one more larger fish. Thanks for the gourami info. You're probably right though, the Kuhli's are pretty small still. I'll think about setting up a Nano style planted tank instead.

Cheers, from the other side or the state.
    Always Learning