Thread: Mystery fin nipping and killing (disappearing) :eek:

Post Thanks / Like

Mystery fin nipping and killing (disappearing) :eek:

Totally at a loss....I have a community tank and have a number of catfish, tetras, 1 angel, discus, and every time I add a fighter...I've had them in before and no probs, but now it gets fin nipped and dissapears over night....My angel was fin nipped and he/she came back, as I isolated it and now is all ok....I have a driftwood catfish which I think may be responsible for the disappering fish but not the nipping...The other cats are sucking, cocatoo and bristlenose....I'm totally at a loss as to who the nipper is - can anyone help???
    Last edited by Lisa; 04-10-2015 at 12:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can get what's called a "poor mans GoPro" about 30 dollars US. Takes a micro SD card and will record for 8 hours. Inside the tank too! Other then that you have to watch the tank forever.

Post Thanks / Like
    What kind of tetra?

Post Thanks / Like
    Serpae and Buenos Aires tetras are supposed to be pretty nippy. Also, I had to evacuate a male betta from a 20 gal stocked with a bunch of neons. Apparently they can be a little aggressive in large groups.
    Always Learning

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the help...sorry I was thinking a tetra but they are actually Harlequin rasbora.... The fighter recovered somewhat and spent 2 nights back in the tank, nothing happened the 1st night but last night nip nip nip, now he's back in the breeding box! It's not like these guys starve that they need to pick on their tank mates..Sheeeesh they are fed little bits (well enough) 3 times a day!!! Aggression is not something I want, if I knew the culprit Id give him a good talking to and a *smack* on the tail fin!!!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bobsbrew Click here to enlarge
    You can get what's called a "poor mans GoPro" about 30 dollars US. Takes a micro SD card and will record for 8 hours. Inside the tank too! Other then that you have to watch the tank forever.
    Will it record over night in the dark??? That is when these attacks happen.

My friend seems to think it could be the Angel, as I have only 1, could that be possible or the discus even.....but they all seem quite docile Click here to enlarge

In all seriousness though I may have to relocate my fighter and opt for something less spectacular Click here to enlarge
    I tell you my kids did less picking on eachother than these lot!!! Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    The betta does not belong in a community tank.