Thread: Danios , A thing of the past?

Post Thanks / Like

Danios , A thing of the past?

I don't see many posts about Danios. I adopted 6 fish, 1 pleco, and 1 ghost knife a while back and had no idea what the fish were. I asked around and someone said maybe a danio, I really didn't put much thought into it til now. I googled a little and found out they are giant danios. Our LFS generaly only sell the zebra.

I put the adopted fish into my tank with 3 lemon tetra and 2 black phantom tetra and 1 small pleco.

Since then 1 danio jumped out and wasn't found for a while. 1 black phantom has died.

I searched the breeding section here came up empty. I will post more questions in the right forum, but for now I want to ask are Danios a thing of the past? What styles do your LFS sell?

Post Thanks / Like
    My LFS sells at least giant danios, zebra danios, long finned gold danios ... so I think they're still popular

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that you bring up the long fin gold I do recall seeing those a few years ago, But haven't recently. I know they're supposed to be beginner fish, my buddy got them for his daughter but when you have to move in with the inlaws fish are the last thing on your mind and I had just set up my tank and needed somethig to fill it, kinda worked out. They aren't my choice of fish but they grow on ya.

Post Thanks / Like
    My LFS carries a few different varieties, but its hard to get a shipment that doesn't die off after a while. For some reason they've been super fragile. Maybe that's why they aren't as popular as they used to be. Celestial pearl danios are still pretty popular, but were referred to rasboras until recently.
    Look here for why you shouldn't buy styrofoam for your DIY background

My 200 gal starfire project