Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raised pond wintering

Post Thanks / Like
    What happened to this project?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not the OP, but I have a above ground 700 gallon pond that I'm carefully watching/evaluating its first winter. So far so good, I've only had about 1" of ice form, and I', running a bubbler to keep an open corner for gas exchange.

Adding a 1,000 watt supplemental heater this weekend, we've got record cold temps coming next week.

Post Thanks / Like
    What kind of heater?

Post Thanks / Like
    Adding a 1,000 watt supplemental heater this weekend, we've got record cold temps coming next week.
    Some fair warning, with that volume of water that 1000 watt heater will probably be running 24/7 just to keep it liquid and costing you about $100/month in extra electricity...

Keeping water liquid for my outdoor pets/animals is one of the things I dread most about winters, especially right now when we are in the middle of about a week of negative F temps (-15 or more C temps) I was out taking care of my llamas and goats last night and their stock tank was steaming like a sauna, and that water is only being held just above freezing, I just cringed knowing that heaters was drawing 1500W and probably will be 24/7 for the next week...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12