Thread: Fish Sizes

Post Thanks / Like

Fish Sizes

for community fish (including species specific tanks), ...
    (not counting ponds)

what is the largest fish most would consider for regular tanks
    (not counting the monster tanks some of those here are building)

tetras, gouramis, cichlids, loaches, ... others
    off the top of my head 6" is getting to be a large fish, but still easily managable for indoors

---

i know the common pleco quickly reaches "too large" for many people

is there a size limit where suddenly people stop thinking "hey that would be a great fish" and start thinking "oh dear god, i don't & likely never will have a tank big enough"

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a lot of fish sold at the big box pet stores that I would consider TOO big. Oscars, clown knife, bala sharks, even clown loaches and a lot of eels just to name a few are species that I would consider too large for a basic home aquarium.
    Look here for why you shouldn't buy styrofoam for your DIY background

My 200 gal starfire project

Post Thanks / Like
    so like 12" is max for most home aquariums ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Pacu!! Koi!! I agree with Thelub!! something else is live bearers like platy and guppy, not in size, but in number can out grow a tank pretty fast.
    Ferengi
    Rule of Acquisition
    #217 You can't free a fish from water.
    The Unwritten Rule: "When no appropriate rule applies... make one up!

Post Thanks / Like
    My fish keep getting smaller and smaller Click here to enlarge. Although there is something to be said for being able to name each of your fish, which is really hard when you have 6+ of the same kind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flear Click here to enlarge
    so like 12" is max for most home aquariums ?
    It would be a safe bet that your average home aquarium isn't more than 55 gallons (based on craigslist ads) so 12" would be a bit much for that 'average' .
    Look here for why you shouldn't buy styrofoam for your DIY background

My 200 gal starfire project

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to agree that most first time aquarists buy a 55 gallon and this is mostly the startup tank until the owner gets consumed and finds a forum like ours that feeds the obsession. The problem is that most people so not look at full size (mature) in consideration and end up buying fish like cichlids that will quickly oversize the tank because they didn;t research or even care. I think 6" should be the average size, but most people should stick to guppies tetras, barbs, mollies platties and gouramis. Leave the plecos to Divine. Click here to enlarge
    DIYFishkeepers.com, bringing the world together one tank at a time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree 6" would be the max size for most people with a 55gallon.

Post Thanks / Like
    MegaPhoenix, reminds me, ... i have 2 pleco's for DivineHammer then Click here to enlarge
    one is 6-7", the other 8-9", ... i got them with the tank i got, (previous owner knew nothing about what he was doing - got 2 of everything, only 2, and no idea about compatibility)

i've since gotten extras so the community fish aren't so lonely, ... now i need lights, plants, hides, ... so they can all find a place to call home in the tank (in addition to getting rid of the types that just don't fit with the rest)

Post Thanks / Like
    Problem is, his monsters may scare those babies to death before he gets them in the water. Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    i still need to get rid of the pleco's Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone near Flear that needs a couple of plecos? It is now a "Save the plecos and adopt" thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    So, how big is 'TOO BIG' for a 55G, as in at what size does does it become harmful/detrimental the fish to be kept in a 55G long term? I'm wondering because I have a black ghost knife and a common pleco in a 55G right now, and I'm wondering if they're outgrowing the tank or have already outgrown the tank without me realizing it. I'm not great at estimating sizes, but I think the pleco is probably about 7-8 inches and the ghost knife is probably about 9-10 inches.

I was hoping to be able to keep them a while longer, but I can't see being able to find the space or money to set up a larger tank within the next year, so I know that they will outgrow their tank before I can get them into a larger one, if they haven't already. I've been thinking that I should probably go ahead and see about selling/trading them to the LFS soon, but I don't want to get rid of them, so I guess what I'm really wondering is if I am doing them any harm keeping them in a 55 at the sizes that they are at now?

Also, how much would you expect these fish to be worth at these sizes? If I do sell them I would like to make sure that I get a fair price for them.

Post Thanks / Like
    both need to be rehomed to a larger tank, if they are the size you stated, I would recommend a 110 Gallon or larger for them. yes you are doing harm by stunting their growth, by having them in such a small tank at that size. common pleco probably nothing to your LFS, the Ghost Knife not sure.
    Canadian Pleco lover! Soon to be built DIY 2000 Gallon RTC tank, Go Big Or Go Home!

Post Thanks / Like
    I was afraid that would be the answer. I might be overestimating their size an inch or two, but they are pretty big. I don't want to give them up, but I also really don't want to keep them if it's going to be bad for them, so I guess I'll be seeing about rehoming them as soon as possible. I'm going to stop by my LFS and talk to them after work today, and I'll probably end up giving/selling them the fish. I thought about putting an ad on craigslist, but I've never used it before, so I'm not sure about trying that. I don't suppose anyone here knows someone in the Cleveland, Ohio area that would be able to take in a couple of large fish? I would be happy to give them away for free if I knew they were going into a better home.

These are the only two fish that I got without researching them properly first. The ghost knife was my fault, I was having a bad day and I thought they were cool when I saw them, and decided to get one on the spot without even asking questions about it. And yeah I know that was stupid. The pleco was sold to my Mom by an employee at one of the big box pet stores, who told her that it would be just fine in her 15G column tank. When we realized that was a lie we moved it to my tank. Like I said in my other post, I was hoping to get a bigger tank set up for them before they got too big, but unforeseen money stealing circumstances are preventing this for the foreseeing future.

Anyway, thanks for the answer.