Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Above Tank Planter Box Nitrate Filter Updates

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks the same Click here to enlarge
    I will try to find some in a local hardware store (or order them online), it's exactly what I need.
    I will suspend them to the ceiling.

I'm not sure if you write it before, but how long do you keep the light ON ? 8-12 hours ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Usually about 12hours or more. There was a couple weeks I was a way from the house and left the light on the whole time. Came back to tons of growth. I turn it off before I go to bed and turn it on before I leave for work. There's no sunlight coming into the room it is just the CFL light that keeps the plant going.
    Last edited by CichlidPadawan; 07-13-2014 at 09:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys I am really interested in this. With my rapidly growing pelco and my two fancy gold fish I have difficulty maintaining nitrate levels, especially if it is a busy week.

I am using a decent size HOB filter. Can I just put some plants directly in there right before the mechanical filtration? The only thing I am worried about is roots growing into the impeller since it is fairly exposed.
    Also I currently have a plant in my kitchen that looks a lot like the Pothos but I don't know if it is the same. Does it really matter or is the Pothos just an example of a cheap plant that is easy to grow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does it really matter or is the Pothos just an example of a cheap plant that is easy to grow.

Yes it is cheap and easy to grow. I am not sure about growing them in your filter like that, but I would be scared it would do like you mentioned.
    DIYFishkeepers.com, bringing the world together one tank at a time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I suppose if I check it every now and again I would be ok. I could remove the bio filtration part of the filter and put it in its place since I have the k1 fluidizing in the tank. The mechanical filter would be able to keep most of the roots at bay that way. We will see what happens but I am going to give this a shot. My tank could really benefit from this and its free!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    What kind of HOB is it? I've got my living room tank plants in an extra hob I had (not sure the brand but it's similar to a marineland) . I took everything out of it and just put the plants in there in both side and am just using it for waterflow. There really isn't a way for the roots to get into the impeller in that hob. I have an aquaclear 70 on that tank also for mech/bio filtration. If you have an aquaclear filter your talking about I wouldn't put the plants above the impeller section in that filter. The roots will go everywhere and the impeller section is rather small.

Post Thanks / Like
    It doesn't need to be in the hob either. I have several just sitting in holes in the cover (must have been for air hose?) in one of my tanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah like Vanish said you can just stick the plant in the tank water if you need to. I'm not able to in mine because my fish will destroy them so the planter box or HOB was a great alternative. That or it you don't want the roots all over your tank. Sometimes it looks cool though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CichlidPadawan Click here to enlarge
    What kind of HOB is it? I've got my living room tank plants in an extra hob I had (not sure the brand but it's similar to a marineland) . I took everything out of it and just put the plants in there in both side and am just using it for waterflow. There really isn't a way for the roots to get into the impeller in that hob. I have an aquaclear 70 on that tank also for mech/bio filtration. If you have an aquaclear filter your talking about I wouldn't put the plants above the impeller section in that filter. The roots will go everywhere and the impeller section is rather small.
    CichlidPadwan. The hob is an aqua tech filter. It has a mechanical filer and then bio filter. I just took out the bio filter for now and put the plants in the space that it went. I would put the plants directly into the water but my telco loves anything veggie related. I don't think the roots would grow fast enough to keep up. I think that this will work at least until I get the water roots started.

Post Thanks / Like
    The problem is you just removed a different part of the system that was helping combat that same fish waste.

Post Thanks / Like
    Vanish I completely understand what you are saying but do you think that the plants could be more effective? It was a low density foam that had bacteria growing in it. I also have one liter of k1 fluidizing in there now

Post Thanks / Like
    Another update. Gotta stand back to take pics now to get it all in frame.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok this thing is becoming a monster lol. I'll have to figure out a new way to hang the light. I keep having to move it up but now I'm out of room. I didn't pay attention to the plant for a few days and it grew up into the bulb if you can see the few brown leaves in there is where it was touching it. I moved the light up again as you can see in the above pictures and now it is probably 3 days away from growing up into the light again. I'm not going to do much with the vines right now as I'm moving in a few months but in my new place I'm going to wind them up the walls. I think a whole wall of leaves around my tank would look pretty cool!

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh man thats looking great! All of mine are growing but not at the rate yours is growing. I think I don't have as much light, and maybe not as much ferts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Could be the lighting not sure. I know I leave my light on a lot of the time and just turn it off when I go to bed. When I'm away for a few days I leave it on the whole time to come back to some crazy growth. The API leaf zone stuff I use contains iron and potassium. I just add it when I do my water changes which are now about every 2 1/2" weeks or so. I may be able to go longer without doing water changes but evaporation takes its toll eventually and I gotta fill it back up anyway. Plus I haven't tested the nitrates for that long a time. I'll have to do that after my next water change. Test nitrates and see where I'm at after a period of 2weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no idea what might be causing that as this is my first time with plants. I would post a thread about it in the plant section and I'm sure the experienced plant people will try their best to answer it. From what I've looked up it may be some kind of deficiency but I really have no idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CichlidPadawan Click here to enlarge
    I have no idea what might be causing that as this is my first time with plants. I would post a thread about it in the plant section and I'm sure the experienced plant people will try their best to answer it. From what I've looked up it may be some kind of deficiency but I really have no idea.
    yes.pls do post it ,coz many people seems to be going through the same problem as mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well time to do water changes. Tested nitrates at 2 1/2 weeks at 20ppm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great idéal I need something like this for cichlid growout tanks I feed heavy and they are messy so nitrates are always a concern thanks Alot!

Post Thanks / Like
    Another quick update. I forget some days to turn the CFL light on before I go to work since I started working the evening shift. It has still been growing pretty good even though sometimes it has been getting neglected. Instead of having the light above the plant I had to move it to the side. The plants kept growing up into it. I'm sure they will eventually do the same thing but I ran out of room to keep moving it up lol. When I get into my new place I'll rig me up a better way to hang the lamp. I'll probably get a bigger reflector to as my plant is getting rather large.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Lookn good!

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't done any updates for awhile. I've actually kinda been neglecting it lol since I started night shift at work. I keep forgetting to turn the light on for it. It doesn't seem to have suffered from my stupidity though. It's even still been growing, just not as fast. I've been forgetting to dose the API leaf zone to. Woops. I'll have to make myself a note and stick it on my door lol.

Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Small update. For some reason I still keep forgetting to turn the light on lol. I manage about 2 times a week at least. That proves this plant doesn't require much light to live and it stills grows but slower. Keep the lights on and this thing grows like crazy.

Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been finding timers at thrift stores for like $2. Eliminates that problem Click here to enlarge

Good looking pothos.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a great idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome. I put pothos cuttings in a HOB on a tank in pretty bad condition and they grew four inches in four days. They seem to be keeping the nitrates in check too. All of my old HOB filters are now being slowly made into sponge filter planters

Post Thanks / Like
    Update: I've been away for awhile. My tanks and planter box filter have been running over at a friends house while I've been looking for a new place. It pretty much takes up a whole wall and clippings from it have become large plants of their own in all of the other tanks in the room as well.

Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a jungle!! Click here to enlarge
    Ferengi
    Rule of Acquisition
    #217 You can't free a fish from water.
    The Unwritten Rule: "When no appropriate rule applies... make one up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Heck of a nice friend!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast