Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Above Tank Planter Box Nitrate Filter Updates

Post Thanks / Like
    Large creek gravel or stuff like lava rock should be ok. As long as the roots have somewhere to go and it doesn't pack down hard. The pothos plants don't seem to care about substrate though as they are getting plenty of nitrates through the fish water. The pot scrubbies you would have to put at the base of the plant I think, or they would get tangled up in the roots. My pothos roots have already pretty much tangled itself up through that eggcrate and spread out all over the place.
    Last edited by CichlidPadawan; 06-20-2014 at 12:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    how abt pea sized pool filter sand..and sum ceramic rings??i do have sum pothos in the sump

Post Thanks / Like
    i have been having hell trying to get my box to seal all teh way round the return and entrance. silicone just wont stick to thei splastic

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by byrdman75 Click here to enlarge
    i have been having hell trying to get my box to seal all teh way round the return and entrance. silicone just wont stick to thei splastic
    I didn't use silicone. I just used a rubber o ring for pvc pipe and put it on both sides of the pvc connectors. I got the threaded kind. Then screwed the 2 pieces together and it squashed the rubber making the seal on both sides. Super easy, super cheap, and it worked great.

Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by CichlidPadawan; 06-20-2014 at 08:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bijoy Click here to enlarge
    how abt pea sized pool filter sand..and sum ceramic rings??i do have sum pothos in the sump
    Couldn't really say I never used anything for mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick Update:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    are you dosing any ferts still?

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CichlidPadawan Click here to enlarge
    I didn't use silicone. I just used a rubber o ring for pvc pipe and put it on both sides of the pvc connectors. I got the threaded kind. Then screwed the 2 pieces together and it squashed the rubber making the seal on both sides. Super easy, super cheap, and it worked great.

Click here to enlarge
    Where did you get those? re siliconed 3 times now and wont stop leaking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bijoy Click here to enlarge
    are you dosing any ferts still?
    I'm still putting in the API Leaf Zone after I do water changes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by byrdman75 Click here to enlarge
    Where did you get those? re siliconed 3 times now and wont stop leaking.
    I just got them at Lowes over by the pvc fittings and stuff. You could probably find them at any hardware store. They are just rubber O rings.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been noticing my plants letting out little droplets of water by the base of the leaves. The plants must be saturating themselves with water. Not sure why the let out these little droplets.

Click here to enlarge

It's not evaporation as you can see this one is draped over my light and is also above my tank covers. I've seen many leaves doing this every now and then. The water is always coming out at the base of the leaves.

Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    It's like you said, they are over-saturated and this is normal.
    DIYFishkeepers.com, bringing the world together one tank at a time.

Post Thanks / Like
    lol at least it's my plants leaking and not my tank right Click here to enlarge . They are growing really well. I'm sure if I had more cfl bulbs on them they would grow like mad but even with just the one bulb is still doing a decent job.

Post Thanks / Like
    And to be honest, that amazes me.
    DIYFishkeepers.com, bringing the world together one tank at a time.

Post Thanks / Like
    The plants have been reaching up towards the light. They are now about 3" away from the reflector. Pretty soon I'm going to have to move the light up some more.

Post Thanks / Like
    That will be one of my next projects, building a light for above the plants above the aquarium. Click here to enlarge Right now they are just using ambient light and they are growing, but not very fast. The plants are just put in through slots in the lid that were pre-existing, not using a box.

Been slow getting my homebuilt planter box filter going. Found out I didn't have enough outflow for the current piping and need to add at least one more outlet. I was hoping the second could just be pure emergency. I guess I could buy a smaller powerhead, but I don't really want to invest more in it yet. Unfortunately, my planter box has slats on the side instead of being smooth, and thus the locations for drilling holes that won't leak are few.

Post Thanks / Like
    I simply stuck the end of pothos cutting in the tank and now one of my pothos vines is at least ten feet long. The roost look cool in the tank too IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wanted to do that but my fish kept chewing them up. Only thing surviving in the tank is the wisteria and that is just because it grows so fast. My featherfin cat munches on it constantly. The roots do look cool to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by daFrimpster Click here to enlarge
    I simply stuck the end of pothos cutting in the tank and now one of my pothos vines is at least ten feet long. The roost look cool in the tank too IMHO.

can u show a pic pls??

Post Thanks / Like
    I will get a pic when I get home from work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine are in a Tanganyikan tank with Comps and shellies and a few guppies for dithers

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by daFrimpster Click here to enlarge
    I will get a pic when I get home from work.

thx a lot..Click here to enlarge also,are you using any fertz besides the fish waste?

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright some new plant pic updates.

Time to move the light up some more. The plants finally were able to reach it and are giving it a big hug.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

The plant in the living room kind of got a curve ball thrown at it. Due to unforeseen rearrangements in the living room and living arrangements (unforeseen by me as I found out when I got home lol) the living room glass doors to the walkout deck are completely covered up. Since I lost my daylight for this plant I've been turning my aquarium light on it's side while I'm away so It can get some light. It's still growing just in a different direction now.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Short video of it

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright some new plant pic updates.

Time to move the light up some more. The plants finally were able to reach it and are giving it a big hug.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

The plant in the living room kind of got a curve ball thrown at it. Due to unforeseen rearrangements in the living room and living arrangements (unforeseen by me as I found out when I got home lol) the living room glass doors to the walkout deck are completely covered up. Since I lost my daylight for this plant I've been turning my aquarium light on it's side while I'm away so It can get some light. It's still growing just in a different direction now.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Beautiful growth....My leaves have burnt a bit due to the heat from the clf bulb.How do u fight the heat?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure why there is so much heat from yours. Unless I'm actually touching the CFL bulb on mine it doesn't really put out any heat. What are the watts on your cfl bulb? Mine is 100w 6500k. I usually keep the lamp far enough away from the plants that they are not touching it but it's still close enough to give them good light. I moved my lamp up a bit today as my plants grew up to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    ya i finally got mine to stop leaking then my powerhead impellor went out lol. i ended up just sticking the plants in the wier of the tank and its workin out pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure why there is so much heat from yours. Unless I'm actually touching the CFL bulb on mine it doesn't really put out any heat. What are the watts on your cfl bulb? Mine is 100w 6500k. I usually keep the lamp far enough away from the plants that they are not touching it but it's still close enough to give them good light. I moved my lamp up a bit today as my plants grew up to it.
    its 32 w 6500k.As for the growth ,the roots have grown considerably in 2 weeks.I think atleast 1/2 inches a day .But the leaves are a bit slow to grow it takes almost a week for a leaf to unfold.Is it because there are no enough nitrates for the plant to grow?(2 carp,3 fantail)And even the vine is pretty thick (new vines).But overall happy with the things so far.Got to see how it goes for another 10 days or so...Then i can come to a conclusion if its a failure or success

Post Thanks / Like
    My bulb is actually 23w (100w replacement) 6500k. That may be the difference in the heat.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_302257-3-26966_0__?productId=3202347

Yeah once the roots get setup pretty good it will start growing well. You should be ok on nitrates with those fish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is that the reflector for the CFL you are using ?
    http://www.bulbspro.com/vista-40326-...aluminium.html

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast