Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Above Tank Planter Box Nitrate Filter Updates

Post Thanks / Like

Above Tank Planter Box Nitrate Filter Updates

I'm going to start keeping a picture journal of my planter box just to document its progress. I've got golden pothos in there and wisteria as well as a 100w 6500k CFL light shining on it. I have a bunch of wisteria in my tank that is growing like crazy but I wanted to try growing some emersed. I will also mention that I just started dosing the tank with API Leaf Zone.

This is what the wisteria looked like when I threw it in the planter. It had been growing fully submerged. We will just call this day 1 of the pothos and wisteria combo.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by CichlidPadawan; 05-23-2014 at 09:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looked like that for awhile then seemed to shrivel down into nothing. I thought it was going to die but I guess it was resetting itself to grow emersed. Here is what it looked like 3 days ago.

Click here to enlarge

And what it looks like today 3 days later. Lots of growth in 3 days time. I think the API Leaf Zone really helped.

Click here to enlarge

The Golden Pothos has grown a lot to. Here is what it looks like today. It has been 8 days of growth.

Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by CichlidPadawan; 06-01-2014 at 08:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I always thought that was a great ideal!! looks great!!
    Ferengi
    Rule of Acquisition
    #217 You can't free a fish from water.
    The Unwritten Rule: "When no appropriate rule applies... make one up!

Post Thanks / Like
    I must not have had much nitrates in my tank when I first threw my pothos in my HOB because it took FOREVER to start growing.
    Look here for why you shouldn't buy styrofoam for your DIY background

My 200 gal starfire project

Post Thanks / Like
    looking good! fast growth!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah the golden pothos and wisteria are really taking off. The API Leaf Zone was suggested from the guy who gave me the wisteria. My fish are nitrate factories. Big poopers lol. I only feed them once a day to and the food never hits the bottom. I also have that 6500k light shining directly on it all the time except when I go to bed. That might have something to do with it to. I've never had plants so I'm relieved that I'm actually getting them to grow. Gonna start checking nitrates and see if they are going down or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was actually thinking about doing a video on a mini aquaponics system .

Using the window planter, existing gravel from the aquarium, a bell siphon, some easy to grow plants and a simple desk top light.... or even ambient light..

Post Thanks / Like
    That would be a great video. I have 2 full 5 gallon buckets of gravel that came with some of the tanks I have that I'm not using. Or even using some lava rock for the added surface area for beneficial bacteria. I've been thinking about trying to grow some tomatoes or something in little cups full of the gravel and setting them in the planter. I need to do some more research on the lighting.
    Last edited by CichlidPadawan; 05-25-2014 at 04:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's working. Normally I would be at least around 20ppm nitrates at the end of the week right before I did my big water changes. These plants have kept the nitrate somewhere between 5 and 10ppm.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's awesome. Great to know you've been able to measure a marked improvement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another Update. Here is the Wisteria still growing. The Pothos doesn't look much different but some of the leaves have changed positions and has brand new leaves growing all over it.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Some of the new leaves

Click here to enlarge

Some of them decided to grow through the egg crate

Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by CichlidPadawan; 05-30-2014 at 02:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wasn't going to keep tabs on this tank. I did just test my water in it after 1 week and since this is my most heavily stocked tank with plants, I figured I would share the results and some growth pics. This fish tank is heavily stocked to cut down on aggression as these are African Cichlids and after 1 week the plants kept my nitrate levels at 10ppm. That is amazing to me as there are about 20 2 1/2" poo machines in there.

Here is the first pic of the golden pothos just after I put it in this tank.

Click here to enlarge

And here is today

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow this is a brilliant move, cichlidpadawan. I love the time lapse, keep it up, you may starting a new trend.
    DIYFishkeepers.com, bringing the world together one tank at a time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mega. I really wanted to have some kind of documentation to see how fast these grew in my tanks with the setup I have now. This way maybe later down the road I can try something else and document that to see which way was best. So far I've seen pretty good growth in these setups. The one I just posted about is getting some partial sunlight in the living room. The one in my bedroom is getting the CFL 6500k 100w bulb. We'll see which one does a better job in the end.

Post Thanks / Like
    honestly, I would love to see someone use those reflectors the go through the roof and allow sunlight shine into the tank. (someone put an example in a much earlier thread) and do this. I bet the results would be beyond impressive. Please keep us up to date as far as your findings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some new pics for the photo journal. I've been gone for a week. I left my 6500k cfl bulb on while I was gone. When I got back there was a lot new growth and all the leaves where reaching up and trying to touch the light lol. I have to move the light so I can take pics because it is to bright but you can tell by the leaves that the light hangs on the left side of the planter.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

The Wisteria is still growing but since the pothos plants have gotten so bushy and is getting tall it isn't getting much light so now it isn't growing as fast. The pothos plants in this planter seem to want to grow up instead of out and stay all bunched up. I think it is because of the cfl bulb and they want to stay where it is lol. Anyway here is the wisteria.

Click here to enlarge

The plants in the living room have done some growing as well. Maybe when I get enough pics and enough time has passed I can do a animated slide show of the plants growing over time.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by CichlidPadawan; 06-13-2014 at 11:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow things are looking healthy there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I started one of these setup on my 90 gallon community pleco tank, with the portho got 8 plants in a 30" planterbox, using my fluval 205 to pump water to it, sofar my tank is crystal clear, normally by Friday it's gone green, so I think it's working, will be testing the water tomorrow to see what my Nitrates are at normally they would be around 15-20 PPM after a week with all those plecos in there.
    Canadian Pleco lover! Soon to be built DIY 2000 Gallon RTC tank, Go Big Or Go Home!

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Divinehammer Click here to enlarge
    I started one of these setup on my 90 gallon community pleco tank, with the portho got 8 plants in a 30" planterbox, using my fluval 205 to pump water to it, sofar my tank is crystal clear, normally by Friday it's gone green, so I think it's working, will be testing the water tomorrow to see what my Nitrates are at normally they would be around 15-20 PPM after a week with all those plecos in there.
    So when are we going to see some pictures of your tank Divine??? The suspense is killing me? Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    So far I have noticed a significant drop in nitrates with the pothos and wisteria growing in my planter box. Granted I also have wisteria growing inside my tank (which my featherfin cat constantly munches on day and night but it still keeps growing like crazy). Usually I am at around 20ppm nitrates at the end of the week I think lol. I have a hard time differentiating from 20ppm and 40ppm on the color card. They both look the same color to me. I wish they had more drastic color changes on the API test kit. That's why I ask the gals what color they see lol as they are supposed to be able to see colors better. At the end of the week with these plants I am seeing less than 10ppm nitrates. The plants are doing their job and eating them up. And I have a overstocked tank with big poopers in one of my setups and I get the same readings. Whenever I get the money and the tank to do it on I'm going to get some of that miracle mud and do a freshwater refugium. Plants are the way to go man and in a setup like mine where the fish eat the plants wisteria seems to be doing great. It grows almost fast enough to keep up with my catfish lol. I'm pretty sure in the long run he will eat it down but I'm just gonna grow some in another tank and keep it handy. That stuff is amazing. The pothos doesn't grow as fast but it is doing a hell of a job so far.
    Last edited by CichlidPadawan; 06-14-2014 at 03:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    yes it does, I checked the readings on the 90 and I am at 5ppm of nitrate, looks like it's working to me!Click here to enlarge other than a gravel vac, and filter cleaning I going to leave the 90 alone this week.
    Canadian Pleco lover! Soon to be built DIY 2000 Gallon RTC tank, Go Big Or Go Home!

Post Thanks / Like
    ITs funny to see this. I started sticking Pothos cuttings at the top of my living room tank about the same time you did!

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vanish Click here to enlarge
    ITs funny to see this. I started sticking Pothos cuttings at the top of my living room tank about the same time you did!
    I didn't use cutting, I put whole plants in, that were already 8"

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't use cutting, I put whole plants in, that were already 8"
    I got a really big plant cheap and divided it into sections and stuck em in. I gave the rest of it away because I had to much lol. I should have put them in my other tanks to.
    Last edited by CichlidPadawan; 06-17-2014 at 03:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vanish Click here to enlarge
    How are they coming along? I've been adding API Leaf Zone when I do my water changes. Seems to be working pretty good but I'm not sure if it is the API stuff or it's just the plant. I may do that in a few of my other tanks. Setup both tanks the same way with the same number of fish that are the same size, and use the same type of light on both. Dose one and leave the other one alone. Then I can tell if that stuff makes a difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    They are growing but slowly. The roots have really taken off, but I just got new leaves starting. I'm not adding any ferts at this time, quite a few fish in the tank so I thought I would see how they did.

Post Thanks / Like
    put 40-50 plecos in there and watch them take off!Click here to enlarge, so I can go almost 2 weeks between water changes on the 90, should have cleaned the filters though on the weekend, dam pleco poop!Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    @ CichlidPadawan ..what kind 0f substrate do you use in the planter box??

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bijoy Click here to enlarge
    @ CichlidPadawan ..what kind 0f substrate do you use in the planter box??
    No substrate just water running through it and eggcrate holding some filter floss in where the water flow into it. There's some more eggrate at the end also keeping the plants away from the drain. Well I stuck some plants in there to anyway but that was what I put it there for lol.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by CichlidPadawan; 06-20-2014 at 05:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    @ CichlidPadawan ... thx 4 ur pics Click here to enlarge..do u think substrate will be nice along with sum pot scrubbies.,coz i already have those in there..do u think it will be a a cause of concern?/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast