Thread: Peaceful tank mates for firemouth?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Peaceful tank mates for firemouth?

Hey all, I have a standard 20g and one juvie firemouth cichlid. It is very peaceful and even sometimes shy, which is not unusual for the species. I was thinking of getting 4 bronze corys to go with it, and maybe a small, fast schooling species of some kind. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    ok obviously a 20gal is to small for a single firemouth yet alone more fish and ive noticed firemouths are not aggressive they are highly territorial
    Discus/Apistogramma Aficionado Dirt Tank Savant

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah ok. The tank is not permanent. I am making a 3ftx14inx18in tank soon. Maybe I should hold off on tankmates until I get the 3fter. cheers, and thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a way to sex firemouths at around 2in, other than venting? Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm not new to cichlids, but I am new to fire mouths), but female firemouths only get to 4in, right? If mine is a female, then the twenty gal shouldnt be too small. And at that size, I would be able to keep some cories and something like neon tetras or harliquin rasboras right?

Post Thanks / Like
    If not, then I wont even attempt to. But keep the suggestions coming for when I get a bigger tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    a 40 tall is kinda small for that type of cichlid I would suggest a 48"L x 18"x21, give it plenty of room to roam as well as gives you a better opportunity to put other fish with it, with less chances of fighting over turf. Danios are a nice fast schooling fish nice mid dwelling fish like like to do long laps.
    Canadian Pleco lover! Soon to be built DIY 2000 Gallon RTC tank, Go Big Or Go Home!

Post Thanks / Like
    ok. I think it might be a female. But I am being very cautious about tank mates, as I have had some cichlids that are very laid back and ignore their tank mates, and some that at only a few inches, claim an entire 75g as their own.

Post Thanks / Like
    40 tall? what do you mean by that Divine? I didnt mention a 40 tall.

Post Thanks / Like
    you stated a 36"Lx14"Wx18"H, which works out to 40 gallons, so I assumed you were making 40 tall.
    Canadian Pleco lover! Soon to be built DIY 2000 Gallon RTC tank, Go Big Or Go Home!

Post Thanks / Like
    OH! I didnt realise it was a 40 tall. I hadnt even calculated the gallons yet lol! sorry for the confusion. I'm going to try 4 cories, as they are small, active and peaceful, and MAYBE a 8-10 of harliquin rasboras, as the fire mouth is still quite small, very peaceful and seems to be growing slowly. If it doesnt work, my mum has a community tank that I could put them in, with other cories and neons. I'm going to the lfs this afternoon, SO excited. Apparently I'm obsessed with fish and need to broaden my horizons, I tell my mum 'I do have broad horizons, I like every type of fish!' LMAO

Post Thanks / Like
    And I'm kind restricted when it comes to tank size, but I'll try for a 4 footer. Although 3ft is probably the best I can do.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I got the cories! I picked out three bronze cories and a peppered cory that was the only one of his kind in the tank. The cories are about .75 of an inch long, and get on great with the fire mouth. For the most part, they ignore him, and he ignores them. I dropped an algae wafer in and the cories went ballistic, after a while the firemouth came to investigate, and started nipping at the wafer, and the cories swam all over the firemouth and around his mouth to get at the algae wafer, and he ignored them and let them stay on. So he seems pretty chill with other fish. I was thinking of getting some sort of tetra or such to fill the top/middle of the tank, as the firemouth and cories just cruise the bottom, and the tank looks a bit empty. Cheers, Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I got 8 head and tail light tetras and the firemouth has become a lot more active, and no aggression, and the tetras just chill and frenzy like piranhas when its feeding time. I got told that my fire mouth is probably a female, so thats a big plus, it'll stay fairly small and should stay pretty chilled out with other fish.