Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 75 Gallon DIY Background ( Finished)

Post Thanks / Like
    yes I can, but she blends in really good into those rocks, if I didn't know where Plecos like to hangout I probably wouldn't have spotted her.
    Canadian Pleco lover! Soon to be built DIY 2000 Gallon RTC tank, Go Big Or Go Home!

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there any chance that a pleco could mess up the sealer on it? I don't know if they suck really hard or not I haven't had one in a long time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes they could, and its one reason I avoided having one in the tank. But I'm going to try it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vanish Click here to enlarge
    Yes they could, and its one reason I avoided having one in the tank. But I'm going to try it.
    Okay cool. I love the color of that pleco, really amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    the best bet for backgrounds with plecos is to use epoxy coats over it 5 or more layers, and dust the last coat with fine sand to take away any shine from the epoxy, it protects your background for many years from the plecos rasping on it, bnps aren't as bad as large common plecos or royal plecos, the royal plecos actually teeth and will tear into anything with no problems, but BNs don't they just have rasping pads and in general are fairly gentle on most things.
    Canadian Pleco lover! Soon to be built DIY 2000 Gallon RTC tank, Go Big Or Go Home!

Post Thanks / Like
    in regards to securing styrofoam backgrounds to the back of the tank could you fashion in tank magnets into the back of the design preferably into your rocks? do you think magnets will hold it down enough? - im curious as to how dirty under these things get if theres any gaps from setup or later on in between the background and the glass have you had any problems at all?

Awesome work though mate i really like the way it comes out with your tank looks awesome!

and thanks for sharing how you did it Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    nice. good job

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I haven't pulled my background out, but there is a full silicone bead around the whole thing, so nothing should be getting behind it. This could be a problem with the magnet idea.

I think the magnet idea could work, but they would need to be quite strong.

Post Thanks / Like
    That turned out really great!! I love DIY backgrounds, you can do anything you want with them they are so original. I made one a few months back and i still love it. Awesome work! Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    I really love the way the wall blends now with more plants and a bit of algae coloration. This is Pre-trim from a couple weeks ago.

Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    So I'm kind of resurrecting old threads to see how an idea has held up for use in my next project!

this background looks fantastic, great job. I wasn't sold on DIY backgrounds, concrete and quikcrete weren't appealing due to the ph going wacky and the potential for crumbling. styrofoam always looked like styrofoam to me but this definitely is passable for rock

since it's a planted tank I'm guessing the bottom inch or 2 of the background is buried in substrate, any signs of decomp on the styrofoam or wearing through the drylok? If you wanted to clean the algae off would wiping it with a cloth be enough or would it take to much scrubbing and risking removal of the drylok?

i watched joey's foam factory video, are those the style of tool you used here? Impressive details for a knife so was curious on the tools needed

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for the delay ... I found frequenting this site was bad for my budget! Always wanting to do new projects, its too easy to spend money. I also ran out of energy and have cut down to 3 tanks. This one is still running, though I am preparing for a rescape.

I haven't seen any issues with the background degrading, either naturally or from the bristlenose pleco in there. I've never really tried to remove algae, there isn't much of it. In other words, its held up perfectly thus far.

One mistake I made, and this is really only applicable for the planted tank, is making the bottom of the background wider to create the caves (its 2 inches wide at the top, and 4 inches wide on some of the bottom. The problem is I want my plants to grow against the background, but I can't plant them as far back as I need to.

I haven't seen Joey's video, but there are lots of ways to cut the foam. I used a dremel tool to get the initial depth. Take your time, I rushed mine and wish i had put more detail into it, though with the plants growing it works really well.

Post Thanks / Like
    About 2.5 years and still no degradation. Sorry for the terrible picture, right now I get a ton of reflection in that room, but I wanted to show that it is indeed still in there!

20161027_101513.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vanish Click here to enlarge
    Three month update. Everything holding up pretty well. Starting to get a bit of brown algae growing on the background, mostly because I switched to live plants and have been running stronger lighting longer. I don't mind it though as it feels a bit more natural to me.

Click here to enlarge
    The final look is awesome!!!! ♥

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12