Thread: Pre plan for a community tank....

Post Thanks / Like

Pre plan for a community tank....

I am trying to come up with a pre plan for a nice Community of fish and have done a lot of reading on it thus far. I found a "web helper" www.aqadvisor.com and plugged them all in and found no real issues. I was just wondering if anyone has had experiences (good/bad) with any or all of these fish.

How I plan to stock:

Center piece: 5 Denison Barbs

The rest: 8 Albino Cories
    8 White Cloud Mountain Minnows
    6 Leopard Danos
    1 Siamese Algae Eater
    6 Platties (various)
    8 Penguin Tetras

Any thoughts or revisions??? Thanks in advance!

JD

Post Thanks / Like
    the platties will most likely breed out of control, maybe get some male guppies?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmmmmmm I will look into that.... Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    just keep in mind both the Denison bards and the dianos require a minimum tank size of 3 foot long 4 is better as they both are lap swimmers, but other than that I can't see a problem with you stocking plans.
    Canadian Pleco lover! Soon to be built DIY 2000 Gallon RTC tank, Go Big Or Go Home!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Divine thanks..... I have 52" but contained in the "L" still ok?

Post Thanks / Like
    White mountain cloud minnows are not tropical fish and need colder water than the rest of the fish.

How big is the tank? The SAE will get to be 6-7" long. And make sure you get a true SAE. Most stores can't tell the difference and usually sell chinese algae eaters as SAE. CAE actually predate on fish scales and can be harmful for your community. If you are looking for a clean up crew, I would suggest a bushy nose ancistrus or oto's instead of the SAE.
    Look here for why you shouldn't buy styrofoam for your DIY background

My 200 gal starfire project

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Lub! I will look into those instead. I don't think that I want to have anything 6-7" in there. The plan is an "L" that is about 70 gal. In the setting I am trying to achieve I want the Denisons to be the biggest fish (focal point).

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm.... Liking the Oto's..... Would that be a school of 6 like the Cories?

Post Thanks / Like
    yes they like to be kept in large groups, 6-10 should be fine, but the more the better they are, they stay really small and have a very small bio load, if the length of one side of the tank is 52" long I don't see a problem or at least 36" if you are talking 52" around the corner I am not sure, and I completely forgot about the white clouds being a cold water fish.
    Canadian Pleco lover! Soon to be built DIY 2000 Gallon RTC tank, Go Big Or Go Home!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just my opinion, but I'm not a big fan of albino cory, maybe look for something with more colors ? Sterbai or Melanotaenia ?
    The platties will provide a source of live food to the other fish Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a ton of corys out there so you should be able to find something that suits you. They also have a wide range in sizes.

Common otos are pretty small, but the zebras get a little bigger. Almost as big as medium corys although not as big bodied. They are pretty spendy though if you can find them.
    Look here for why you shouldn't buy styrofoam for your DIY background

My 200 gal starfire project

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Chouin Click here to enlarge
    Just my opinion, but I'm not a big fan of albino cory, maybe look for something with more colors ? Sterbai or Melanotaenia ?
    The platties will provide a source of live food to the other fish Click here to enlarge
    Unfortunately or fortunately the Albinos were picked out by my 7 year old so I think they will have to stay. He has been involved every step of the way so far and can't wait until I return home so that we can actually start building. As a matter of fact I think it was he who suggested we do an L shape to cover a plumbing chase we have in the living room. Smart kid! Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Divinehammer Click here to enlarge
    yes they like to be kept in large groups, 6-10 should be fine, but the more the better they are, they stay really small and have a very small bio load, if the length of one side of the tank is 52" long I don't see a problem or at least 36" if you are talking 52" around the corner I am not sure, and I completely forgot about the white clouds being a cold water fish.

Yes the front pane (long leg) will be about 45" while the short leg will be 39".... I think I am ok??

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, thats fine. And I have to agree, White Clouds are temperate fish, and fair poorly when kept in tropical temperatures. Maybe some neons to achieve the same sort of look? 20-30 neons would look awesome.