Thread: Angelfish?

Post Thanks / Like

Angelfish?

So I have a lightly planted 30 gal tank with a tree trunk center piece with 3 mollies, an upside down catfish, clown loach, redtail shark, dwarf gourami, blood parrot, and a red cap oranda goldfish. My question is would an angelfish or two be an ok fit to add to this setup? My catfish, loach, and blood parrot hide majority of the time and I'm looking for a good "center piece" fish to add.

Post Thanks / Like
    Goldfish are cooler water fish, angels want warmer water, over 80 degrees.

Post Thanks / Like
    My goldfish has lived in a heated tropical tank for some time now and it doesn't seem to bother him, is there any other reason this collaboration wouldn't work out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well there are a few things that are stacked against you. Before you set up a tank, you really need to decide before hand what you want to put in it. You need to research what each fish and plant needs. You can't put random things into just any tank, and hope for the best. That will never work.

You have a pretty small tank there, so you are right out the gate limited. You are limited in the size of fish you can add, the amount of fish you can add, the type of fish you can add and also what plants you can add. For that size tank, you really can not add big fish, or aggressive fish, or fish that have a big bio load. You need to think about all that before you add anything. You also should not think that, you'll get a bigger tank later when the fish grow. You need to buy the proper size tank from the get go. Otherwise your fish suffer in a small tank while they grow, and also while you are cycling the replacement tank for 2 months, before you move everything.

Think of it this way. How would you like to be put into a 2X3 foot closet when you were 3 yrs old. No light, no windows or fresh air. Also in the closet with you, are spiders, rats, and possibly a cobra. They are all still small so space won't be an issue for you guys for a while. But don't worry, you'll be moved into a bigger closet, when you get bigger. But meanwhile you're stuck in there. Would you survive? Maybe. Would you thrive? Probably not.

For a 30 gallon tank, you could possibly add 3 angels. It would be tight, but it's possible. However 3 is not a good number. If two pair up, they'll probably kill the third. Never mind the rest of the fish you have in there. You also have to check what fish are compatible with each other. Angels can't be put with just any fish. They can be picked on, and their fins nipped. The angels can also eat smaller fish. So again, you have to research the fish you want, what other fish they are compatable with, and what conditions they want. The combination of tank size, water conditions, fish compatibility in your tank is not the best. You are going to run into trouble.

The fact that the goldfish is still alive in warm water doesn't mean it doesn't bother him. It stresses him, which lowers his immune system, and opens him up to disease. Not just for the goldfish, but it can also spread to the other fish too. When you don't give fish what they need and want, you are taking a risk. Is it worth it? Only you can say. But why keep fish in environments they are not accustomed to and don't like?

Goldfish are also pretty messy. The food and waste from goldfish is pretty bad, which can lead to a less than pristine tank, and water conditions. Angelfish like the exact opposite. They like a clean tank, and pristine water. They don't like nitrates, 10 ppm nitrates is about all they'll take. With you tank, it's size, other fish, the angels will not like it.

DIYFK member Katy is beautiful & wise's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know about the rest, but the clown loach will get about a foot long, the red tailed shark can get a foot or more, orandas can get Six inches long, the blood parrot can get large, six to eight inches, I think. I do not know how big upside down catfish get. The only fish that really goes inside that aquarium is the dwarf gourami. Also, most of those fish hide because they are supposed to be in a shole with others of their kind. They get scared and sometimes agressive when they are forced to live alone. The clowns need to be in a group of 3 to 5 at least, angel fish school, some catfish like corys like little family groups. You really can't have one each. You can have certain loner fish alone. Like plecos get agressive with more than one. When you have a small tank you have to have smaller fish, or less fish. Nu2DYI is right about the size issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Nu2DIY Click here to enlarge
    ~Snip
    For a 30 gallon tank, you could possibly add 3 angels. It would be tight, but it's possible. However 3 is not a good number. If two pair up, they'll probably kill the third. Never mind the rest of the fish you have in there. You also have to check what fish are compatible with each other. Angels can't be put with just any fish. They can be picked on, and their fins nipped. The angels can also eat smaller fish. So again, you have to research the fish you want, what other fish they are compatable with, and what conditions they want. The combination of tank size, water conditions, fish compatibility in your tank is not the best. You are going to run into trouble.

~Snip
    This also depends on which type of angel it is. MOST Can't! be kept in a tank lower the 55cm's/20-21" due to the size/Height they achieve.
    I've seen it first hand. My max tank height is 55cm's and my "young adults" (6-9months) were allready cutting it close.
    Their fins grew alot as do their "tentacles" and can end up being disformed if kept like this too long (Beautifull fish too bad I can't keep em longer than 6-9months)
    The people in LFS's say sure no problem but it is a problem with angels.

As for the rest of the tank, maybe you want to rethink the whole community?
    All nice looking fish, but it's a mix-match community with atleast 3 or 4 fish allready that are way to big for it and will suffer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Think about a single-species tank. That doesn't have to be boring. I have a Platy tank that is interesting--lots of color and movement. Even though Platy's have a 'common' reputation, they come in a lot of colors and they're easy to keep.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nu2DIY, I really like the way you described the space issue. I work in a store and have to explain why goldfish don't live in small tanks well multiple times per week. This seems like a very vivid example for the people who just don't get it the first 3 times I explain it. Thanks for the visual!

55 Gal - Tetras/Communtiy ~ 75 Gal - Angelfish/Semi-Aggressive ~ 125 Gal - (In Progress)