THE ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DIY aquarium stand

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DIY aquarium stand

I'm jealous of that wide open space you got there to build your stand. Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like

It makes up for the fact I don't have a workshop. It's hard having to wait the whole winter to be able to build something Click here to enlarge
    145 gallon seamless acrylic: 9 Tropheus Bemba, 8 Tropheus duboisi ,
    Rack; 45 gallon:breeding pair Jewel Cichlids
    Betta tank- 2 female and 1 Male crowntail
    Next Project: 145 gallon Canopy and LED lighting

Post Thanks / Like

a question about styrofoam .
    do you build the stand bottom a bit bigger than the tank itself to allow for the rim to sit in from the edge of the styrofoam . the glass on my 90 sits up from the bottom trim "floating" and the rim is about 3/4" below that

Post Thanks / Like

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rusty386
    a question about styrofoam .
    do you build the stand bottom a bit bigger than the tank itself to allow for the rim to sit in from the edge of the styrofoam . the glass on my 90 sits up from the bottom trim "floating" and the rim is about 3/4" below that
    Styrofoam is really only needed for acrylic tanks.

When you say the stand bottom, are you talking about the actual bottom of the stand or the top of the stand where the tank sits?

You don't need to build the stand any bigger than the aquarium, or in the case of glass aquarium the black rims on the bottom. Now if you don't have a lot of wood working experience, it's probably good to give yourself an extra 1/4" - 1/2" in on each dimension when building the stand, to allow for a short cut or some wiggle room. What I've done with my stands is the stand frame and top of the stand are exact measurements of the bottom of the tank. Then I take some trim to and raise it up to cover the black trim on the bottom of the stand.

Something like this (I put the 1/4 round inside because I mismeasured and the had an extra 1/2" on each side and it doesn't completely cover the trim like I had planned):

Click here to enlarge

Trim doesn't need to be anything fancy like that either. Just a 1x4 would work well too:

Click here to enlarge
    Working on setting up a 180 gallon SW setup.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks

yes i mean where the tank sits on the stand. , a lot of users say put styro under the tank for imperfections there may be but if my trim is the only thing on the plywood then it would just press into the foam which could be worse. my 90 sits on a wrought iron stand which does not fit just right so i may attempt to build a new on for it before i put it into service..

nice finish job on yours looks good

Post Thanks / Like

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rusty386
    thanks

yes i mean where the tank sits on the stand. , a lot of users say put styro under the tank for imperfections there may be but if my trim is the only thing on the plywood then it would just press into the foam which could be worse. my 90 sits on a wrought iron stand which does not fit just right so i may attempt to build a new on for it before i put it into service..

nice finish job on yours looks good
    Yeah, when they're talking about the imperfections, they're referring to the imperfections in the stand and acrylic tanks as the whole bottom needs to be supported for acrylic tanks. Glass tanks you don't even need to put a piece of plywood on the top, it can sit directly on the stand frame and be open under the glass. The black brace on the glass aquariums is the only thing touching the stand. With that said, if your tank isn't fitting in the wrought iron stand, a piece of plywood would probably fix the problem.
    Working on setting up a 180 gallon SW setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I finished my stand for my new 90, couple of issues though. One, i wish I would have made it a little taller. The stand is right at 27" tall which was done intentionally so I could reach in the tank while standing and it fits right behind my couch with only the tank showing. But because of the 2x4's used there is only a little over 20" of room for the sump which doesn't leave much room to work with. Two, I am clueless about wrapping the stand so all I have is the bare frame. Anyone have any links to wrapping a stand and making doors?

Post Thanks / Like
    Joey.. I am planning to build this canopy. What are the exact sizes of each cut of plywood that you used and how many of each size did you use? Basically what is the size of each piece, including the center supports?

I am also planning to build this stand. What are the exact sizes of each cut of plywood that you used and how many of each size did you use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tsimmons0017 Click here to enlarge
    Joey.. I am planning to build this canopy. What are the exact sizes of each cut of plywood that you used and how many of each size did you use? Basically what is the size of each piece, including the center supports?

I am also planning to build this stand. What are the exact sizes of each cut of plywood that you used and how many of each size did you use?
    Not to answer FOR Joey... But here goes.

It depends on the tank you're building it for. For my standard 55g, I made mine 49"x13"x28". I needed 4x49" for the long sides, 12x10" for the sort sides and middle support (overkill), 6x28" "guides" and 10x25" inner supports. All lumber was 2x4 (1.5x3.5). You will need to change these dimensions to suit your tank and needs. If you need help, just post the size of the tank you're building it for and I'm sure anyone should be able to help you.
    Current:26g bow - 4 bumblebee gobies, 1 ancestrius, 1 otto 20 long - tire track eel, cobra guppies
    Projects:55g stand - waiting on $$$ for nice ply to cover - 9g "Biube" stand

Post Thanks / Like
    as stated above the stands frame is made to the foot print of the tank, then your plywood sides are made to sit flush with the top of the stand then you put your trim on which will give you your spacing needed to clear the plastic trim on your tank, for example if you are using a 20 gallon tall 24"x12"x16" your stands frame outside dimensions would be 24"x12" and what ever height you want, as for plywood it is up to you to decide the thickness you want to use for wrapping the stand. as for a canopy usually 1/4" plywood is used to keep it light, same with the frame usually 1"x1/2" is good.
    Canadian Pleco lover! Soon to be built DIY 2000 Gallon RTC tank, Go Big Or Go Home!

Post Thanks / Like
    Joey,
    Im new to the forum but im a youtube subscriber and i used this video to make my stand for my 75 gal. I had all the material and tools already so it cost nothing, which made the general happy as well. Thanks for the video!

Post Thanks / Like
    Joey Have you built these stands with a shelf in the supports? Seems like a notched out piece of plywood would work well maybe with some L style brackets to hold it in place. What is your thoughts on this? I really like the DIY stand videos it gives the basic layout to be used on any size stand ( with in reason) Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Showed the video to my son. He will be building my stand. It is for a 240 gallon acrylic (8' x 2' x2'). We think that it is a great design. He is worried about how heavy and long the stand will be. He was wondering about making 2 smaller stands and joining them together. Does this sound feasible? Any tips? Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thankyou joey for the vid , i have just built mine for a 3x2x2 glass tank , followed you video and it`s so strong i could park my 4x4 on it lol , and only cost 30 uk money thanks again Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks a lot for these videos, they inspire me to do my own stand for my 55g. My only question is how I go about if I want to add 2 small doors? Did you used the same piece of plywood or something different? I was really looking forward to see the process for that. Again thanks a lot

Post Thanks / Like
    I also would like to say thanks for the video; I used it to build a stand for my wife's new 75gl glass tank. Great simple design..... and it pointed me to this cool site.

Jose25, I got lucky and stumbled across a set of wooden tracks for sliding doors at my local hardware (not sure what they are for). One track is deeper than the other and that goes on top. I cut 1/4" ply to fit and I have easy doors; no mental gymnastics figuring out hinges.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet videos! Just put together a couple stands last night and they're solid

Post Thanks / Like
    I built a stand by myself after watching Joey video. I want to post a photo but need 15 post to link URL. So next time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm curious what you guys think about this style of stand as opposed to Joey's style. I was thinking of building my stand this way, looks strong and less prone to measurement errors on my part.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9785724...ream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9785724...n/photostream/

Post Thanks / Like
    just curious how could I use this same build for a bow front stand??

Post Thanks / Like
    check out Tomcat's recent build for his 26 gallon bow front, he also made another stand for another bow front tank, you can see both of them in his 26 bow front build.
    Canadian Pleco lover! Soon to be built DIY 2000 Gallon RTC tank, Go Big Or Go Home!

Post Thanks / Like
    how would someone go about building a stand for a 72''x18'' footprint glass tank,one that could both hold a tank with a smaller 48''x13'' footprint,and also hold another tank below?

In other words. I want to build a stand for a 75 gallon long tank(72''x18''). I don't have the tank yet,I wanna build the stand 1st. So my 55 gallon tank would be set on the stand while I wait for my 75. also once I get the 75,I want to then move my 55 to be stored underneath the 75 on a lower shelf.

I will use 3/4'' plywood on the top bottom. But I'm sure that 2x4,s will not hold up to a 6 foot stand that has no center brace. I know a center brace won't work because how will I get the bottom tank in with the brace in the way? Will 2x6 or 2x8 frame construction allow for enough strength without a center brace?

I thinking of going with 2x8 top frame construction,plus having 8 extra 2x4's for front and back vertical support( in joey's video he uses corner supports. for mine I would add extra 2x4's placed in the front and back,2 extra for each corner.placed right next to joey's corner pcs.) adding these will mean my 55 on the bottom would still be fully visible from the front,and add some vertical support without a center brace.
    plus basically adding an extra 2x4 frame screwed into the larger frame for the 55 to fit on top. could work. I just think I want to get some feedback before going this direction.
    Thanks for any feedback in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    2x4 will hold up to any 6ft stand, so will 2x3's and 1x3's. It's just a matter of what you want to use.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know 2x4 would normally work,but my stand is calling for no center brace,which joey says in the video would be needed for that particular stand to work @ 6 feet long. I'm hoping for feedback on whether or not 2x6 or 2x8 on the top frame would be enough to allow for the lack of a center brace. That and the extra 12 inches of vertical support coming from the front and back corners towards the center.

Post Thanks / Like
    going to try this to build a canopy for my tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Master Chi Click here to enlarge
    I know 2x4 would normally work,but my stand is calling for no center brace,which joey says in the video would be needed for that particular stand to work @ 6 feet long.
    When you say center brace, are you talking about the back center brace or the front? If it's a glass tank, you could probably get away with it, I've seen large tanks with no center brace at all. You could easily double up on the 2x4 on each corner. Why would you not want a center brace in the back anyway, I can understand the front, but the back is a good standard.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to say I love this design for a tank stand, each span is made into a header of sorts, using jacks to move load from the braces to the floor, just as you would for doors, windows and floors for open concept, and Joey's guide is Sweet! Click here to enlarge .

@ Master Chi - I'm no expert but to span farther than so many feet with no front brace, have you thought of making a header of 2 2*6 and adding another jack or so to hold load of the tank? or even a small L beam to add extra strength? It will deff make the stand heavier and a bit front heavy, but it may be what your looking for with back braces or jacks, and none in the front..

Post Thanks / Like
    thats for the awesome series of videos I'm using them to build myself a stand

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with building with a jack and king stud style of construction. like what is used around the doors and windows in a house.

Post Thanks / Like
    the stand can be made to be 72" long with no center braces, if you double up your top beams or go with 2x6" instead it will work just fine, and a 75 gallon tank is only 48" long, I see why you want the extra 2 feet for storage of equipment.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast