Thread: New Tank Stocking

Post Thanks / Like

New Tank Stocking

I'm setting up a new 90 gallon at the moment and I know that I'd like atleast 1 normal Jack Dempsey or an Electric Blue Jack Dempsey. However I'm undecided on what to put in with them.

So far I've consider just going for two of the same kind or picking from:
    Oscar
    Firemouth
    Blue Acara
    I'd prefer a couple different kinds but if that's very iffy, I'll just go with 2 of the same. Due to the tank size I think the max I could do is 2 fish of this size, please let me know if I'm mistaken and am either over or underestimating!

My girlfriend is going to be breeding betas and the culls will be serving as feeder fish as she is a bit apprehensive of euthanizing, so which ever combination has to eat feeders. I understand EBJDs sometimes are too mellow to eat feeders but it looks like most of the others would be fine on that regard.

Ideally I'd want an EBJD with an Oscar but it doesn't sound like thats a great idea. That combination because the GF loves Oscars but isn't fond of any JDs other than the EBJD. THe firemouth and blue acara are fish I've found to look amazing and if either of those could be paired with an EBJD, thatd be great.

Otherwise I'll be putting them in a 90 gallon with water as follows:
    PH 7.6
    GH ~8
    KH ~15

The filtration is a diy biased off of Joey's fluidized bed filter videos using 2 gallons of k1 in a 20 gallon sump with a prefilter. I think I can get flow rates to about 400 gph atleast if not a lot more (I got the pump which is a iwaki MD-20RLXT used so I need to get the tank set up to test it).

Forgot to mention there will also be a pleco in there somewhere, not sure what kind yet.
    Last edited by Tendeta; 11-05-2013 at 05:58 AM. Reason: forgot pleco

Post Thanks / Like
    All of the fish you listed will get large when they mature so I wouldn't go more than 4-5 total fish in the 90.
    Look here for why you shouldn't buy styrofoam for your DIY background

My 200 gal starfire project

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool I was going to limit it to 3 fish total if I go for the Oscar and if not then maybe 4 of the smaller ones that only get to around 10" but any recommendations on combinations that would work?

I've been considering 3 options, the pleco is included in all of these.
    1 - 2 EBJD's and blue acara
    2 - Oscar and JD
    3 - JD and Blue Acara and Firemouth

Which do you guys think would work the best or do you have another suggestion? Remember I'd really like to have a JD in the mix.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think any of those 3 will work just fine Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Try to get something other than a common pleco because it will outgrow all your other options.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats good about the combinations, but now I'm wondering if the two EBJD's could be kept with a green terror, to me it seems like they could but I wanted to get a consensus. I'm asking cause I'm worried the Blue Acara wont take feeders as I haven't been able to find any information saying they will, and none saying they wont for that matter.

I've also been reading that the EBJD's have a much milder temperament than normal JD's and its possible they wont take feeders, does anyone have any experience with that?

The common is my gf's love =P personally I like the peppermint pleco's.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know I am kinda late to the party, lol, but don't forget Cichlids have their own personalities. There is no perfect combination that will work. What works for one guy may not work for you.
    180 Gallon, 110 Gallon Long, 75 gallon, 55 gallon, 55 gallon, and 40 gallon breeder.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^^^^^ x2

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have a oscar in the tank don't worry if the others will take feeders, the oscar will gobble up what ever you toss in there. I used to keep a 10 gal full of feeder comets and give my oscar 2-3 med size a day, small fry would be finger food and sure it could eat as many as you tossed in

Post Thanks / Like
    You could throw in a few convicts to as they stay relatively small compared to the others but can hold there own. Just don't get a pair lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^ x2, if you get a breeding pair of convicts, they will beat the jd's into a corner, and pick a fight with the oscar that will likely end in them being swallowed whole.