Thread: what are some C/A cichlids?

Post Thanks / Like

what are some C/A cichlids?

im just wondering what are some of the C/A cichlids? are these like angel fish and such? what are some otheres if so. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: what are some C/A cichlids?

no, angel fish are south america. (S/A)

C/A = central american.

There are hundreds of C/A cichlids.....

huge ones, big ones, medium size ones, small ones, tiny ones.....

What are you interested in?

Color, temperament, size, etc?
    Click to view-->My personal DIY projects

Post Thanks / Like

i was just wondering what are some of the common ones so i can better understand what ones are in wich familys. my sister had a tank with a oscar and some pearl gramies.

Post Thanks / Like

they are form different continents I believe. Gouramis are from Asia and oscars are from South america. Oscars aren't from other countries too are they except through breeders?
    DIYFishkeepers.com, bringing the world together one tank at a time.

Post Thanks / Like

flowerhorns originate from C/A spicies same goes for Jack dempsey's Dovii Mana's there are so many more.
    But Angels are S/A and Oscar's, Discus etc.

Post Thanks / Like

ok thanks. she also had two red perl flower horns. just getting a better understanding of freshwater. im mostly saltwater/ reef keeping at the moment but its getting way to pricey for me now.

Post Thanks / Like

Coming from a reef background i think you may want to look in to Malawi cichlids, only because of the colours you can get from them and they act similar (very lose tense) to SW fish.

Maybe you could look into breeding some of the stock you have to cover costs if you have any corals you can frag ect. Could be a way for you to keep your SW going.

SW has been a pipe dream for me and i understand the cost thing as its the main factor i have stuck with FW still thats not that cheap now lol

Post Thanks / Like

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tyetree
    Maybe you could look into breeding some of the stock you have to cover costs if you have any corals you can frag ect. Could be a way for you to keep your SW going.

SW has been a pipe dream for me and i understand the cost thing as its the main factor i have stuck with FW still thats not that cheap now lol
    I am part of a saltwater club and i do frag my corals. i can make about 100 to 200 a month in sales. now this might sound good but thats like my only income right now being inbetween jobs. i still love the hobbiy and will be staying with it. i have a 30 breeder tank thats a fish only that i have put on the back burner at my moms work. by xmass i want to convert it back to fresh water because most people have a basic idea on how to keep fresh water. im moving aswell so lots of stress. ill keep everyone posted on what gose on

Post Thanks / Like

Some interesting Central American cichlids that you could look into are Vieja cichlids such as the Vieja Melanurus, Vieja Argenta, and the Vieja Regani. Aside from them some of my personal favorites are Paraneetroplus Gibbiceps, and Paraneetroplus Bulleri. A striking fish, not too hard to find would be a (ex)Cichlasoma Salvini. They are beautiful. Theres many many more of course, but they're the big and beautiful's. Hope these were a little help.

Post Thanks / Like
    take a look at the Hypsophrys nicaraguensis (Nicaragua Cichlid) , too. They are gorgeous fish and not so big or aggressive as many CA cichlids. Do a google image search and you will see some gorgeous fish!

Post Thanks / Like
    I tell people the same thing but the fish always seems to be over looked. Here's a pic of mine.

Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    loll who cares? its all about SA cichlids obvi..... jk but not really jk they are clearly the most win
    <center></center>

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard S/A were the most aggressive cichlid and african were the least. Is this true? I know you shouldn't keep cichlids from different parts of the world together. I'm just wondering about this statement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by zclark Click here to enlarge
    I heard S/A were the most aggressive cichlid and african were the least. Is this true? I know you shouldn't keep cichlids from different parts of the world together. I'm just wondering about this statement.
    I believe it is the other way around.
    ​AKA - Grandpa Fish to my 4 grandsons

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to name a few....

Midas
    Red Devils
    Jaguar
    Dovii
    Carpintis (NOT a Texas!)
    Texas
    Synsypillim
    Argentea
    Hoduran Red Points
    Convicts
    Nanoluteus
    Fire mouths
    Trimac's
    Sagittae
    Haitiensis
    Hoga's
    Splendida
    Jack Dempsey
    Roborsoni
    Salvini
    Grammodes
    And loads more....

Click here to enlarge
    180 Gallon, 110 Gallon Long, 75 gallon, 55 gallon, 55 gallon, and 40 gallon breeder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Pikeman Click here to enlarge
    I believe it is the other way around.
    i believe pikeman is correct the africans are all pretty aggressive even the ones they consider "mildly aggressive" or "passive" are all very territorial

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe its a close tie between Centrals and Africans when it comes to aggression. How ever Centrals have teeth, especially species like the ones in the
    Parachromis family like Jags and Dovii. They get some chompers man! I have a 9.5 inch Midas that has drawn blood on me about 3 or 4 times now and his
    teeth are small compared to some of the other species of Centrals.

In my opinion if you want personality and and aggression than one large specimen or a pair of Centrals are the way to go, possibly south american. Centrals can be colorful but the biggest
    attribute I love about them is the aggression and personality. If you want a community tank and lots of different colors look into Africans. You can keep over 10
    africans in a 55 gallon but even with small Centrals you couldnt keep more than 4 maybe and even that depends on species and if there are any pairs. You get into
    any thing over 6 inches and you are looking at only one fish for a 55 gallon and if your looking at any thing over 10 inches you really need a larger tank. Some people
    will even say that a 55 is to small for a 10 inch fish, how ever I am keeping a single Oscar in a 55 atm around 11 inches and he has plenty of room to move around.

I think when it comes to Centrals, if you really want a central your either going to need a single specimen or a pair of a species type tank or a very large (200+ gallon) tank. Tell you what though, if you
    want an aggressive fish get yourself a 125+ gallon tank and get your self a breeding pair of large Centrals, once they spawn they will try to eat your face through the glass lol.
    I had a pair of Jaguars that were NUTS lol. Even my 9.5 Midas and his 6.5 inch female will go nuts. They are not to worried about me as they are use to me but when my kids walk
    up to the glass they completely LOOSE IT! lol
    180 Gallon, 110 Gallon Long, 75 gallon, 55 gallon, 55 gallon, and 40 gallon breeder.

Post Thanks / Like
    try having 4 8+ Oscars in a 240 with 3 Heros, 4 Convicts, now your having fun, the convicts are the most tame fish in my tank next to the Plecos and Catfishes, everything else goes for my fingers every time my hand goes into the tank, but the funny thing is watching an 11 inch Oscar go flying across the tank with my 17" Common Pleco chasing after it. But convicts are great, they are very personable fish, you need to keep them heavily stocked like an African tank,
    Canadian Pleco lover! Soon to be built DIY 2000 Gallon RTC tank, Go Big Or Go Home!

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Divinehammer Click here to enlarge
    try having 4 8+ Oscars in a 240 with 3 Heros, 4 Convicts, now your having fun, the convicts are the most tame fish in my tank next to the Plecos and Catfishes, everything else goes for my fingers every time my hand goes into the tank, but the funny thing is watching an 11 inch Oscar go flying across the tank with my 17" Common Pleco chasing after it. But convicts are great, they are very personable fish, you need to keep them heavily stocked like an African tank,
    you really have that tank stocked full huh? lol but im probably biased. i built a 185 tank for a puffer and 3 id sharks lol