Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Aquarium Plant FAQ - For Newbies .. With Pictures!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aquarium Plant FAQ - For Newbies .. With Pictures!!!!

I have a air pump that make currents and at my local petshop told me that u can not make grow plants in a tank with a pomp like thise http://www.sourcingmap.com/aquarium-fis ... 67.html.Is it true?

Post Thanks / Like

Hades, I am not quite sure what to tell you. I grow all my plants under artificial lighting and have control over it - I have no idea how sunlight transfers over in terms of intensity, PAR, etc... Might have to just try your luck.

And nevriku, the pump won't hurt the plants... I use powerheads in my planted tank for flow. As long as the pump isn't strong enough that it is breaking the plants I don't see why it would be an issue. It's just an air pump.
    She Who Must Be Obeyed

Post Thanks / Like

I just started my first planted tank in a 15 Gallon tank. Do you think I will get enough sunlight in the tank without the use of a light of some sort with being 4' or so away from an all glass door that gets full sun for about 80% if the day?

Also is having 3" of dirt in the bottom a good base for plants to grow in. Do you think I should add some sort of gravel to the top so the dirt doesn't get moved around. I'm planning on adding some RED Cheery Shrimp and a few small fish to the tank once it has had 3+ weeks to cycle.
    10 Gal - Honey Gold Gourami, Picuts Catfish
    10 Gal - 42 Red Cherry Shrimp, 8 Neons
    40 Gal - 3 Northern Diamondback Terrapin's, 6 Black Phantom Tetra, 3 Blue Gourami's, 3 Green Severum
    55 Gal - 6 Electric Yellow labs, 1 Electric Blue Johanni, 2 Red Tops, 2 Red Zebra's, 1 Reef Cichlid

Post Thanks / Like

If it is regular soil i would put grave lon top cause after time it going to float and be a pain.

For the sunlight, i have my tank right infront a window in the roof. And all that i can say is that it works great. + i ahve two 18W T8 neons and i only use one.

In nature the plants grow under the natural light not under artificial lighting so there is no reason that it won't work =). Just siphon your tank regularly cause you will have more posibilities of having algea.

Post Thanks / Like

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fiesta90150
    If it is regular soil i would put grave lon top cause after time it going to float and be a pain.

For the sunlight, i have my tank right infront a window in the roof. And all that i can say is that it works great. + i ahve two 18W T8 neons and i only use one.

In nature the plants grow under the natural light not under artificial lighting so there is no reason that it won't work =). Just siphon your tank regularly cause you will have more posibilities of having algea.
    Thanks fiesta90150.

I plan on using the ECO Soil 3 bags of it for my 40 Breeder any left overs are going into my 10 Gallon tank. Which I plan on setting up as a Cherry Shrimp tank. I have been cycling it for about 3 weeks now.
    40 Gal - 3 Northern Diamondback Terrapin's, 6 Black Phantom Tetra, 3 Blue Gourami's, 3 Green Severum
    55 Gal - 6 Electric Yellow labs, 1 Electric Blue Johanni, 2 Red Tops, 2 Red Zebra's, 1 Reef Cichlid

Post Thanks / Like

i dont know what ECO soil is. Is this normal soil or aquarium soil?

I have aquarium soil and i dont need gravel on top, it doesn't float. So if its aquarium soil you will have to test if it does come to float back up after a while well just put gravel over it.

Post Thanks / Like

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fiesta90150
    i dont know what ECO soil is. Is this normal soil or aquarium soil?

I have aquarium soil and i dont need gravel on top, it doesn't float. So if its aquarium soil you will have to test if it does come to float back up after a while well just put gravel over it.
    Eco complete is a aquarium soil mix for planted tanks, I need 12 of them for my 240 gallon tank, I am going to try a mix of the eco complete and red coral mix 6 bags of each and then put black Hawaiian gravel on it, plus a full pressurized system with a CO2 reactor on my return lines back into the tank.
    Canadian Pleco lover! Soon to be built DIY 2000 Gallon RTC tank, Go Big Or Go Home!

Post Thanks / Like

That's a lot o soil Divinehammer. Click here to enlarge Sounds like a great setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Eco complete isn't a soil... It's porous rocks. I use it in my tanks, I really like it. It's light however, so it can be accidentally vacuumed up and larger fish will disturb it, and it can be difficult to initially root plants in.

As for ECO soil I am not familiar with that product.
    She Who Must Be Obeyed

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a question in regard to plants that will be compatable with goldfish in my 55gal tank. Thanks and Take Care

Post Thanks / Like
    hi evrybody . I want to make a planet aquarium.there is a link on youtube ( ) Or put it on a share site(rapid or another one) for me . thank you 4 your assist and your kindness .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick little question as I didn't notice it anywhere in the thread. What's an Mts snail? Would clams also work?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a FYI check out this site. It has photos of algae and methods of getting rid of it.

http://www.aquariumplants.com/Articles.asp?ID=111
    WhyMe
    75-20 RCS, pleco, 9 Oto Cats, 9 White clouds, 20L- 6 Neons, 6 Corys, 4 longfin Danios 10 Mollys, 10-plants, 6 Assassin snails

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Krystal Click here to enlarge
    Quick little question as I didn't notice it anywhere in the thread. What's an Mts snail? Would clams also work?
    I love these little things! They are Malaysian Trumpet Snails.
    WhyMe
    75-20 RCS, pleco, 9 Oto Cats, 9 White clouds, 20L- 6 Neons, 6 Corys, 4 longfin Danios 10 Mollys, 10-plants, 6 Assassin snails

Post Thanks / Like
    They say that a flow rate of 6 times per hour is recomened for fish tanks. I am wanting to run a fude apart from my sump for more plant capacity. What would be a good flow rate for planted tanks as i don't want the flow to be too turbulent for the plants. And also would i be able to route the incoming water into the fude coming up through the substrate and out the top. FYI i am going to have African Cichlids in my main tank. Sorry if these are noob questions

thank you Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been rather curious about this; I hear all this stuff about aqua soil and the like, and left wondering what's the difference, is it just a special sort of dirt? Also what kind of dirt are we talking about? Are we talking go into your yard scoop up a bunch and throw it in the tank? Or are we talking some sort of garden soil? I have a creek that runs through my backyard, could I get some soil/dirt/silt from it? Could one put a layer of sand over top of the dirt so it looks more pleasing to the eye while the plants are growing in? What are substrate supports made out of, can they be anything fish safe? How long do you want the tank to cycle before you add fish? If you use supports do you pass on burrowers, like clams, loaches or MTS's, or can you still keep them?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 3 amazon swords in my 20 gal tank. I don't use any of the substrate soils, I do use fertilizers now and them. For CO2 I made my own in the form of charcoal (burnt logs) and put it in the bottle filter i seen Joey made. that charcoal also helps with odours it can be messy if you didn't rinse it like 6 times before putting it in. it seems to last for a year with odour control. i have a question about those moss balls in petsmart i have one its getting kind of massive was wondering if you can split those?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 20 gallon long with 5 fish that max out under 1 1/2" and a pleco about 2" long. I had plants in my tank but I think the pleco ate them. I have the tank next to an east facing window, but havent had any alge until recently thanks to the pleco. I was wondering if there is a plant you can suggest that a pleco wont eat. I am looking to double the number of smaller fish in the near future and was looking to have live plants take up some of the filtering burden.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm.. Pleco should not be eating plants. Why do you think he's eating the plants?
    She Who Must Be Obeyed

Post Thanks / Like
    The plants got shorter and shorter every day until 2 of 3 had no leaves. The other fish are 3 guppies, 2 neon tetras, and a molly. I read somewhere (i think on this site) that plecos eat plants. They didn't look faded or badly colored on the receding edges so I didn't think it was dying or defecient in nutrients.

Post Thanks / Like
    Question?

Um, I'm thinking on using an old 5 gal for a planted tank as it seems a bit of a waste for it to sit in the closet and I would like to guess that I can use clippings for and extra treat for for my fish.

I'm not planting my larger tank cause I have a habitual digger/grazer and anything I try to put in there is dug up and eaten the next day... Dl

How do I begin when I have 0 dosh? I'm literally flat broke, it may be awhile before I get plants but if it would help them I could go ahead and get the tank good n cycled before I put them in. I have access to Pottery clay, natural play sand, and some potting soil. Oh and a natural spring/creek in our back yard but that's a bit of a desperate venture as we have Coyotes, Racoons, Foxes, and the occasional black bear wandering about >x>

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234