Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aquarium Plant FAQ - For Newbies .. With Pictures!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aquarium Plant FAQ - For Newbies .. With Pictures!!!!

It's hard to decide because sometimes I will pick up a plant labeled "difficult" and it grows like a weed, sometimes I'll pick up a beginner plant and it doesn't do much. I think the most important thing is starting out with a good quality plant or clipping.

However, I will give you a list of some easy to grow plants. Some of these do need a bit more light - but I would still consider them easy plants.

Unkillable - *
    Likes light - #

Most crypt species - *
    Hygrophilia polysperma - *
    Giant Hygro
    Bacopa monnieri - #
    Pearlweed
    Limnophila sessiliflora - *
    Anarchis - *
    Wisteria
    Watersprite
    Most anubias species (slow growers, though)

That's all I can think of for now.. I'm sure there's more.
    She Who Must Be Obeyed

Post Thanks / Like

Hey carrie, would you have the time to upload a video showing how you trim your plants? I am very interested to see your technique.

Post Thanks / Like

Sure... I planned on getting back into the youtube stuff. Just been so crazy since being diagnosed and my voice has been crap for a few months, but it's almost back...

Once my new plants come in next week I'll probably do a short aquascape video.
    She Who Must Be Obeyed

Post Thanks / Like

i for one would love to see some vids of your tanks. i currently have my 75 gallon planted with community fish and am experimenting with cliping from it on my cichlid tank and suprisingly there doing well so far.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a YouTube under AquariaCarrie... Most videos are quite outdated but there is some stuff on there. Gotta get myself back in the game.
    She Who Must Be Obeyed

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Carrie. Take your time no rush, make sure you put yourself first. All the best to you and your health Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like

carrie i seen some where u use Eco complete just how thick of bed do use i'm thinking of changing my sand bed over in my 75 and at 20bucks a bag i don't want to have to make 10 trips to find out i need more

and can u give me an idea to how much it took 4 ur big tank
    ty
    im here to help & to be help diy member map https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=380302#

Post Thanks / Like

Eco complete is good stuff, I have nothing but excellent things to say about it. The difference was and still is, amazing.

I used 4 bags to fill my 55 gallon planted, if you've seen it, I've got quite a deep bed. I probably could have gotten away with 3 bags though but it would have been a shallower bed for sure. I like a nice deep bed for planting.

For the 75 though I would think 4 bags would be necessary since they are thicker front to back. I paid almost 150$ for my eco complete since I had to have it shipped in.. I see it's dropped in price quite a bit since last summer when I ordered mine.

I would think one would want atleast 2.5-3 inches minimum... Higher in the back than the front, of course.
    She Who Must Be Obeyed

Post Thanks / Like

im just tired of this look this tank is in my family room where everyone see it and half the time i have to keep light off due to glass door and skylight i also like a thick bed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo-0069.jpg   Photo-0069.jpg  
    im here to help & to be help diy member map https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=380302#

Post Thanks / Like

Baadboy, I really like what you have there. It looks stunning! Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by qwerk
    Baadboy, I really like what you have there. It looks stunning! Click here to enlarge
    thank u but it time to up grade

Post Thanks / Like

Aquarium Plant FAQ - For Newbies .. With Pictures!!!!

Here's a question. When placing plants that you just bought in the aquarium, are you supposed to take the weight off the bunch? I have been taking them off and haven't had too much trouble keeping them planted. My only option for buying is Petsmart and they always have the little wight wrapped around the stems.
    - 40 gallon acrylic RES tank
    - 50 gallon tank Ram/Small Catfish/Betta

Post Thanks / Like

i take them off

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah.. Never leave any of the crap on from the store.

You can even trim the roots a little bit if they look see through or brown or whatever. I always trim a plant up real good before putting it in my aquarium.

Plants never look good when first purchased. The shipping/lack of knowledge at the pet store/upheaval and place into different tank can cause some funky things to happen such as drooping, melting, curling, loss of leaves, plant death etc... A lot of people want to buy a plant and place it in their tank and VOILA - instant planted tank! It doesn't work this way.

Trim it up, get rid of the anything on there (elastics, weights, foam, what have you) and plant it. If you do happen to have a hard time keeping them planted, you can let them float for a few days until you see some roots and then replant.
    She Who Must Be Obeyed

Post Thanks / Like

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by baadboy
    carrie i seen some where u use Eco complete just how thick of bed do use i'm thinking of changing my sand bed over in my 75 and at 20bucks a bag i don't want to have to make 10 trips to find out i need more

ty
    To get an idea of what you need, multiply the length of the tank by the width and then divide by 10 or in other words L x W / 10.

Example my forty gallon breeder is 36L x 18W / 10 = 64.8 round up to 65 lbs. A bag of Eco complete is 20 lbs so three bags should give me roughly a 2 inch bed.
    DIYFishkeepers.com, bringing the world together one tank at a time.

Post Thanks / Like

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by megaphoenix
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by baadboy

ty
    To get an idea of what you need, multiply the length of the tank by the width and then divide by 10 or in other words L x W / 10.

Example my forty gallon breeder is 36L x 18W / 10 = 64.8 round up to 65 lbs. A bag of Eco complete is 20 lbs so three bags should give me roughly a 2 inch bed.

i got it i was just check with some one that had use it b4 just to be sure

Post Thanks / Like

Aquarium Plant FAQ - For Newbies .. With Pictures!!!!

Can a sword plant be tied to a piece of driftwood or does it need to be rooted in the substrate?
    - 40 gallon acrylic RES tank
    - 50 gallon tank Ram/Small Catfish/Betta

Post Thanks / Like

Sword Plants in a loose substrate they are a root plant

Post Thanks / Like

Planted newbie here. More a question about lighting then anything. I have a 110 gallon (5'L x 24"H x 18"W) fish tank that im putting together, never done the planted aquarium but wanted to give it a try. I currently have 3/4 inch substrate for planyed aquarium and then near 1 3/4 inch of Sand. I wanted a sand look in this aquarium but felt I should give the plants some substrate too.. What I would like to know Is opinions on lighting. Currently im looking into Marineland Double bright LED 24-36" x 2. Would that be enough lighting to grow the plants. Or should i just stick with the old flourescent route.

Post Thanks / Like

Stay away from marineland LEDs.. Nice light, not much good for plant growth.. Especially on a 110, those are tall tanks. Marineland came out with a plant light, but I don't know if it's any good but it's way too expensive to interest me personally.

I would stick with t5hos, or a DIY LED system where you know what you're getting.
    She Who Must Be Obeyed

Post Thanks / Like

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by carriej
    Stay away from marineland LEDs.. Nice light, not much good for plant growth.. Especially on a 110, those are tall tanks. Marineland came out with a plant light, but I don't know if it's any good but it's way too expensive to interest me personally.

I would stick with t5hos, or a DIY LED system where you know what you're getting.
    I totally agree. I have been researching a whole heap on lighting and T5ho is the way to go. I find it gives a better full spectrum of light and if the tube blows too easy to replace with another, I think with LED's the control gear blows before the lamps.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a CO2 question. I've got a 35 gallon tank and am very interested in installing some C02, any recommendations on inexpensive setups like as in not the DIY stuff but actual setup people have used that have lasted and worked that doesn't put that big of a dent in their wallets?

Post Thanks / Like

I just saw this right now.. any thoughts? any good?

Post Thanks / Like

I use an actual CO2 cylinder. While expensive initially (200ish dollars for a new set up), you only have to buy the regulator once and pay for fill ups. The cartridges in the cheaper systems would run a hole in your wallet over the course of the year - plus I haven't heard anyone who actually likes them.

She Who Must Be Obeyed

Post Thanks / Like

can i get a list of whatever it is that you're running so i have a better idea. i want to make my own setup but don't really know where to start

Post Thanks / Like

My aquarium is a Discus Only bare bottom Tank and Im thinking about doing some changes. The lights are not very bright because Discus are sensative to light.

It is my understanding that Brazilian and Amazon sword plants do not require a lot of light?

Woukd I need CO-2?

Could the plants be in clay pots or glass dish?

What diameter and depth would the pots or glass dish need to be?

What type of soil or substrate should I use?

Will the plants be ok?

Will the Discus tear up the plants?
    85 Gallon BB Aquarium Discus Only

Have A Great Day

Post Thanks / Like

Some time a go I adeed some anubus plants in my 27 gallon tank with a 12 v bulb light but the plant didnt keep its leafs for much than it seemd like it was reviveing again but the fishes keep picking and then I had to remove what remained from the plant.I tink it is a light problem or the roots didnt attached very well to my gravel.so what do u think?Now I am thinking to attach a new plant to a bogwood or to a spoonge.

Post Thanks / Like

can a planted aquarium run without lights installed?
    life is beautiful

Post Thanks / Like

Well.. Plants need a light source as they photosynthesize just like terrestrial plants.

So unless you have some sort of sky light, then yes you need lighting.

It doesn't need to be expensive, super powerful lighting. A shop light from home depot, etc can open the doors to some easy and hardy plants.
    She Who Must Be Obeyed

Post Thanks / Like

what is a good plant to get that has great coverage and requires medium light. and by medium light i mean my tank is out side on my deck but under the canopy so it never gets direct sun light, just the natural out side light. its a 25 gallon with a 10 gallon sump. the only occupant is a 2 1/2" clown knife and some feeder guppies that he never ate. the only plants in there now are

2 of what ever this is
    Click here to enlarge

and 2 of this
    Click here to enlarge

my substrate is miracle grow 2 inches thick with 1 1/2 inch of sand on top of it
    this is what i have now and i really want to Jazz it up a bit
    Click here to enlarge

i want to replace the sand with some thing that grows like grass. then i want something that grows tall for the back.
    any and all ideas and comments welcome
    It is so much easier to get forgiveness, then it will ever be to get permission!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast